Alex Asigno
Alex Asigno

MX1 : 89 and counting for Everts after further fiesta in Spain

The Grand Prix of Spain at Bellpuig has turned out to another positive meeting for the Yamaha Intur Sports Motocross team and the YZ450FM motorcycle. Stefan Everts won the second MX1 moto to claim his 89th career victory and also seize control of the current World Championship standings while Cedric Melotte produced a hard-earned seventh position overall without having too much luck. After a cold and blustery opening Grand Prix of the season two weeks ago at Zolder in Belgium the hot Spanish sunshine was a welcome sight for the teams and riders as they rolled into the paddock for the second round of fifteen in the 2006 MX1 World Championship. The good weather - combined with the Easter holidays - also drew out the fans as 26, 200 defied the plumes of dust that emanated from the dry, hard and rough terrain. Stefan Everts was denied his second pole position by just a tenth of a second on Saturday afternoon by Tanel Leok, and over the course of the two Grand Prix motos of 35 minutes and two laps today the Kawasaki rider again plagued the World Champion. Everts led for eight of the 21 circulations before a mistake coming out of the old whoops section at slow speed saw the Belgian drop to fifth place and give the race to Leok and his pursuer Kevin Strijbos who would prove superior to the flag. Everts composed himself to fight back to fourth, but committed several mistakes in his challenge to Jonathan Barragan and could only secure third place with less than two laps to go. Cedric Melotte rode a good race to tenth after getting stuck in the gate and entering the first corner in last position. The Belgian had a difficult time clawing his way through the field on a course that was not easy for overtaking. He moved past Antti Pyrhonen for tenth, three laps before the chequered flag. Everts blasted back in convincing fashion in the second moto. The 33 year old, wearing his distinctive blue Acerbis livery, led from the first lap until the last and withstood brief pressure from Leok to complete a vintage performance. Stefan has won 50% of the races so far this campaign and now heads the Championship standings by ten points from his Kawasaki-mounted rival. Melotte was fourth over the line in a truer showing of his abilities later in the afternoon. He had been holding third on the YZ450FM, but the energy expelled during his first come-back race began to tell and Steve Ramon was able to relegate him to fourth. The team now face a relatively short trip east across Spain and down to Agueda, some 100km south of Porto, for the Grand Prix of Portugal next weekend. Stefan Everts: "Every time I wear my white kit in the first moto I am riding tense! I felt more relaxed before the race than I did in Zolder and then had a good start so it seemed to be going well but I found that I wasn't comfortable out there. I made a stupid mistake but could then come back to third after a hard fight with Barragan; it was hard to pass him because there were not many lines on the track. Third was good because I knew it gave me more chance of taking the overall. The second moto was much better and the Yamaha worked really well this weekend. I was very satisfied with our performance and we didn't change anything apart from altering the gearing in practice. We tried another tyre also but I ended up using the same model." Cedric Melotte: "The weekend did not start well because I could not get a good lap-time yesterday. I was very disappointed with 22nd but I focussed on making a decent race today. I hit the gate at the start of the first moto and I don't know if it was my fault or the mechanism. Anyway I pushed and came back from last to tenth. In the second race I started better and was third for about half the race but then I slowed down as I got a little bit tired; the first heat was hard. Ramon came through but I kept my rhythm and it was not a bad moto." Carlo Rinaldi, Team Manager: "It is another win for us but as usual it is never that easy! Stefan struggled in the first moto and looked tense. Leok was putting on the pressure and Stefan made a silly crash. He came back well but was still making some mistakes. He eventually could pass Barragan for a very important third position and we were satisfied because his main rivals had been so-so. The second race was typical of Stefan. A good start and he made his own rhythm; nobody could catch him and it was perfect. Cedric was very unlucky with the gate. We asked to see the TV replay and it is hard to tell if the gate did not work or it was his mistake so we could not make a protest. Anyway he came back with a lot of determination to tenth. That was good for him because he needs to be in competition with the other guys and return to his true level. His speed was good in the last moto and he showed that he can run at the front. It is understandable that he faded a little because of the effort from the first heat."     Race classification MX1 Round: 2 - 2006 GP of Bellpuig, Spain Circuit: Bellpuig Race 1: 21 Laps  Pos.  Rider Manufacturer  Nat. Total Time  1   K. Strijbos Suzuki  BEL  39' 17.220  2   T. Leok Kawasaki  EST  +9.438  3   S. Everts Yamaha  BEL  +12.955  4   J. Barragan KTM  ESP  +16.056  5   K. De Dycker Honda  BEL  +20.073  6   S. Ramon Suzuki  BEL  +23.507  7   S. Tortelli KTM  FRA  +51.134  8   J. Bill Yamaha  GBR  +53.844  9   J. Noble Honda  GBR  +1' 5.714  10   C. Melotte Yamaha  BEL  +1' 12.991  11   P. Leuret  Honda  FRA  +1' 14.711  12   A. Pyrhonen TM  FIN  +1' 16.824  13   M. Priem Yamaha  BEL  +1' 20.718  14   D. Theybers Suzuki  BEL  +1' 22.823  15   J. Lindhe KTM  SWE  +1' 28.458  16   J. Garcia Vico Honda  ESP  +1' 29.712  17   A. Salvini Suzuki  ITA  +1' 32.892  18   M. Hucklebridge Kawasaki  GBR  +1' 34.596  19   M. Van Daele Honda  BEL  +1' 47.099  20   A. Lozano KTM  ESP  +1 lap(s)  Race 2: 22 Laps  Pos.  Rider Manufacturer  Nat. Total Time  1   S. Everts Yamaha  BEL  40' 30.007  2   T. Leok Kawasaki  EST  +17.460  3   S. Ramon Suzuki  BEL  +22.900  4   C. Melotte Yamaha  BEL  +39.465  5   S. Tortelli KTM  FRA  +46.185  6   K. De Dycker Honda  BEL  +55.033  7   J. Barragan KTM  ESP  +1' 0.680  8   M. Priem Yamaha  BEL  +1' 4.048  9   P. Leuret  Honda  FRA  +1' 9.278  10   B. Jorgensen Honda  DNK  +1' 12.796  11   J. Garcia Vico Honda  ESP  +1' 28.469  12   J. Bill Yamaha  GBR  +1' 31.381  13   M. Van Daele Honda  BEL  +1' 33.111  14   A. Bobkovs Honda  LVA  +1' 35.481  15   D. Theybers Suzuki  BEL  +1' 36.685  16   A. Pyrhonen TM  FIN  +1' 37.850  17   M. Hucklebridge Kawasaki  GBR  +1' 39.607  18   J. Noble Honda  GBR  +1' 52.646  19   K. Strijbos Suzuki  BEL  +1 lap(s)  20   A. Lozano KTM  ESP  +1 lap(s)  Championship standings MX1 Pos.  Rider  Manufacturer  Nat. Points  1   Stefan Everts Yamaha  BEL 92  2   Tanel Leok Kawasaki  EST 82  3   Sebastien Tortelli KTM  FRA 77  4   Steve Ramon Suzuki  BEL 69  5   Ken De Dycker Honda  BEL 61  6   Kevin Strijbos Suzuki  BEL 60  7   Jonathan Barragan KTM  ESP 59  8   Cedric Melotte Yamaha  BEL 54  9   Pascal Leuret  Honda  FRA 47  10   Manuel Priem Yamaha  BEL 30  11   James Noble Honda  GBR 29  12   Antti Pyrhonen TM  FIN 28  13   Stephen Sword Kawasaki  GBR 26  14   Javier Garcia Vico Honda  ESP 25  15   Marvin Van Daele Honda  BEL 22  16   Julien Bill Yamaha  GBR 22  17   Danny Theybers Suzuki  BEL 19  18   Brian Jorgensen Honda  DNK 19  19   Bas Verhoeven Kawasaki  NED 14  20   Mark Hucklebridge Kawasaki  GBR 12    Manufacturers standings MX1   Pos. Manufacturer Points  1  Yamaha 50  2  Kawasaki 42  3  KTM 40  4  Suzuki 38  5  Honda 31  6  TM 9    MX2 : Mackenzie walks the podium in Spain after dramatic Grand Prix Round: 2 - 2006 GP of Bellpuig, Spain Circuit: Bellpuig Date: 16 April 2006 Crowd: 26200 Temp: 22ºC Weather: Sunny Bike it Yamaha Dixon Racing's Billy Mackenzie gained his first podium of the season this afternoon at a warm and sun-kissed Bellpuig circuit in Cataluyna. The steep inclines of the hard and short track that despite constant watering proved to be dry, dusty and very rough with the formation of unforgiving ruts and numerous braking bumps. It was not easy to overtake. Excessive watering to help the terrain cope with all four motos meant that the initial race of the day, MX2 moto1, was a particularly slimy affair. The two MX2 motos of 35 minutes and 2 laps duration threw up two different sets of results. Yamaha managed to own the chequered flag in both races thanks to the resurgent Kenneth Gundersen and a flying Antonio Cairoli respectively but it was Mackenzie with an eighth place and a third position in the second sprint that got to spray the champagne and walk the rostrum. Ricci Racing's Gundersen was again a proactive force in the MX2 field after scoring an emotional top-three finish at Zolder two weeks ago in the wake of more than a year with injury problems. The Norwegian started in third place and soon moved past his team-mate Alessio Chiodi for his first moto victory since 2002, claiming the chequered flag by three seconds from 'Chicco'. Defending World Champion Cairoli was on impressive form during the first qualification heat yesterday as he holeshotted and escaped from the pursuing pack; earning Pole Position. The young Italian hoped for more of the same in the first race but a crash on a slow tight left hander and problems getting re-started meant he fell out of the top twenty and one lap behind the leaders. Mackenzie set his best time on the penultimate lap after earlier making a strong move on Luigi Seguy to take eighth position, however the Scot, who won his debut GP moto here in 2005, was too far behind Carl Nunn in seventh to scale the classification further. The 13 points he bagged would later prove vital in an exciting climax to the day's racing. Gundersen was immediately ruled out of the possibility of a double race win when he fell on the first lap of Moto2. De Carli Yamaha representative Cairoli had already taken the holeshot and proceeded to re-enact his Saturday performance, fuelled by the frustration of his opening race faux pas. Eventual winner Tyla Rattray gave chase but was not able to get within touching distance. Mackenzie meanwhile had held onto the back of the leaders after a better jump from the gate but soon had his hands full deflecting the attentions of Rui Goncalves. The 22 year old needed third place to confirm his podium while also requiring JK Racing's Luigi Seguy to keep Chiodi away from ninth position, which the Frenchman managed to accomplish. The outcome of the top three went down to a nail-biting last lap with both duels extremely close. Finally the race order did not change and Mackenzie was again able to celebrate in front of Spanish on-lookers thanks to his better race position although he was tied on points with Chiodi. Gundersen spent the entire race trying to catch the riders ahead and squeezed into 19th spot. He remains Yamaha's top rider in the young World Championship standings, holding third place, 19 points behind Rattray. Cairoli, Chiodi and Mackenzie are also in the top ten. His team-mate Davide Guarneri was 8th after having earlier retired after a crash. Cairoli's team-mate Mateo Bonini was unable to compete after breaking his right wrist in a Belgian Championship meeting last weekend. The Italian underwent surgery this week and the team will have a better idea in terms of his racing return once the cast is removed in a fortnight and his rehab begins. Billy Mackenzie, Bike it Dixon Yamaha: "To be honest I was expecting a little bit more from myself this weekend. I have been feeling comfortable riding but I know I am still not close to how fast I can go. The guys at the front are quick but there is a lot more to come and I will keep on improving. We have had a few problems at the start of the year but we must build from here. This is the start of the podiums and I want to try to get on the podium steps as much as I can for the rest of the season." Antonio Cairoli, De Carli Yamaha: "I crashed after five laps and I could not start again quickly because the bike was caught in the green fence and I lost one lap there and also many points. I was faster than De Reuver and Rattray but stopped after the crash because I was so far behind. For the second heat I really wanted to win and started very well. The battle between Tyla and I was nice and it was good to come back and win. I am happy with my condition and the speed." Alessio Chiodi, Ricci Racing: "I made a mistake at the start of the second moto and touched Philippaerts out of the gate. I think I was around 15th on the first lap but it was so difficult to pass and it wasn't a good race for me. I tried my best but there was only one line and it was hard to get Seguy at the end. The result is better than Zolder for sure because I was sick there. The first moto today was good because my riding, my condition and the bike were all working well." Kenneth Gundersen, Ricci Racing: "The first race was perfect. I had a good start, passed Chiodi and controlled it the whole way. It was a great feeling to finish first again. In the second race De Reuver cut my line at the start and I was down somewhere between 15th and 20th but then I crashed on the first lap and twisted my knee. After that I rode just to try and get as many points as I can. It is the same knee that I injured last year but it is not a big problem." Claudio De Carli, Team Manager De Carli Racing: "Matteo (Bonini) has been really unlucky. He was injured in the Italian Championship and went to Zolder just to get back on the bike and to start to find his speed again. After Zolder we decided to also compete at Neeroeteren because he was getting better and needed more race time. At the start of the third moto a rider crashed in front of him and he had nowhere to go. He hit the fallen bike very hard and broke his right wrist. He had an operation the day after and now is in a cast that has to remain there for two weeks. He will then have to start a period of rehabilitation to be back as soon as possible."     Race classification MX2 Round: 2 - 2006 GP of Bellpuig, Spain Circuit: Bellpuig Race 1: 20 Laps  Pos.  Rider Manufacturer  Nat. Total Time  1   K. Gundersen Yamaha  SWE  39' 37.723  2   A. Chiodi Yamaha  ITA  +2.922  3   M. De Reuver KTM  NED  +4.024  4   C. Pourcel Kawasaki  FRA  +4.921  5   T. Rattray KTM  RSA  +27.297  6   S. Pourcel Kawasaki  FRA  +40.304  7   C. Nunn KTM  GBR  +44.649  8   B. MacKenzie Yamaha  GBR  +48.882  9   L. Seguy Yamaha  FRA  +50.174  10   D. Philippaerts KTM  ITA  +53.063  11   T. Searle Kawasaki  GBR  +1' 10.497  12   M. Seistola Honda  FIN  +1' 12.233  13   P. Caps Honda  BEL  +1' 14.934  14   M. Schiffer KTM  GER  +1' 17.817  15   J. Dougan Honda  GBR  +1' 20.836  16   A. Boissière Yamaha  FRA  +1' 21.367  17   X. Boog Yamaha  FRA  +1' 37.420  18   M. Monni KTM  ITA  +1' 38.361  19   A. Meo Honda  FRA  +1' 42.706  20   X. Hernandez Yamaha  ESP  +2' 4.111  Race 2: 21 Laps  Pos.  Rider Manufacturer  Nat. Total Time  1   A. Cairoli Yamaha  ITA  39' 3.713  2   T. Rattray KTM  RSA  +2.722  3   B. MacKenzie Yamaha  GBR  +31.055  4   R. Goncalves KTM  POR  +31.665  5   M. De Reuver KTM  NED  +46.951  6   D. Philippaerts KTM  ITA  +50.148  7   C. Pourcel Kawasaki  FRA  +51.227  8   D. Guarneri Yamaha  ITA  +1' 0.608  9   L. Seguy Yamaha  FRA  +1' 1.271  10   A. Chiodi Yamaha  ITA  +1' 3.247  11   G. Swanepoel Kawasaki  RSA  +1' 9.648  12   C. Nunn KTM  GBR  +1' 16.081  13   P. Caps Honda  BEL  +1' 24.348  14   P A. Renet Honda  FRA  +1' 32.019  15   N. Aubin Kawasaki  FRA  +1' 47.976  16   M. Monni KTM  ITA  +1' 55.744  17   X. Boog Yamaha  FRA  +2' 0.651  18   A. Boissière Yamaha  FRA  +1 lap(s)  19   K. Gundersen Yamaha  SWE  +1 lap(s)  20   X. Hernandez Yamaha  ESP  +1 lap(s)  Championship standings MX2   Pos.  Rider  Manufacturer  Nat. Points  1   Tyla Rattray KTM  RSA 83  2   Marc De Reuver KTM  NED 74  3   Christophe Pourcel Kawasaki  FRA 64  4   Kenneth Gundersen Yamaha  SWE 64  5   David Philippaerts KTM  ITA 59  6   Antonio Cairoli Yamaha  ITA 53  7   Alessio Chiodi Yamaha  ITA 48  8   Carl Nunn KTM  GBR 47  9   Billy MacKenzie Yamaha  GBR 45  10   Sébastien Pourcel Kawasaki  FRA 44  11   Rui Goncalves KTM  POR 42  12   Davide Guarneri Yamaha  ITA 32  13   Luigi Seguy Yamaha  FRA 32  14   Tommy Searle Kawasaki  GBR 32  15   Patrick Caps Honda  BEL 28  16   Antoine Meo Honda  FRA 27  17   Gareth Swanepoel Kawasaki  RSA 15  18   Pierre-Alexandre Renet Honda  FRA 14  19   Aigar Leok Yamaha  EST 13  20   Matti Seistola Honda  FIN 13  23   Anthony Boissière Yamaha  FRA 8  28   Xavier Hernandez Yamaha  ESP 2  Manufacturers standings MX2 Pos. Manufacturer Points  1  KTM 50  2  Yamaha 40  3  Kawasaki 32  4  Honda 22

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.