Alex Asigno
Alex Asigno

Fantastic Philippaerts takes win number two of 2008

Only three rounds remain in the 2008 MX1-GP World Championship after a brilliant meeting for the Yamaha Monster Motocross Team at the Loket circuit for the Grand Prix of Czech Republic represented the twelfth meeting of fifteen on the series schedule. David Philippaerts obtained his second victory of the season and his third moto success to regain control of the standings and snare the red plate once again for the front of his works YZ450FM. Team-mate Josh Coppins was struck by a freak moment of misfortune that contributed to his result of 9th position overall. Under cloudy but dry skies and in front of 28,000 spectators, Loket was an extreme contrast to the rough and physically demanding depths of the Belgian sand last weekend. Hard-pack, slippery and fast, the layout was uncomplicated and offered diversity through the many changes of elevation thanks to the valley setting. The riders spent time finding effective tyre combinations through practice in search of the best traction. The team were pleased with some technical modifications to the YZ450FMs with new engine parts adding more bottom end grunt to the potent motor. Coppins was particularly content and was holding 3rd position in Timed Practice until finally being nudged down to 4th; it was still one of his better qualification performances of the year. Philippaerts was fastest in the first free practice although was unable to get a clean lap in the official chrono and placed 11th. The top sixteen riders were split by less than two seconds. Philippaerts' first race was incredible and saw one of his best performances of the season. More misfortune on the opening lap after a tangle with Tanel Leok witnessed the 24 year old picking up his motorcycle and re-starting outside the top twenty. He then embarked on a heart-pounding recovery with adventurous lines and overtaking manoeuvres to rapidly gain ground.Philippaerts worked his way back, setting the fastest lap on the fifth circulation and passed his team-mate and world champion Steve Ramon to take a dazzling 3rd place. The second sprint was less frantic and he grabbed the lead on the first lap and established a race winning advantage over Sebastien Pourcel to the flag. Coppins was a persistent rider in the battle for third position in Moto1 but his progress was limited when a rock broke his goggles on the second lap. The Czech dirt was littered with small stones so even keeping pace with his rivals and taking 4th was a remarkable achievement. In the second race the New Zealander was still suffering with blurred vision and when he touched a false neutral over a jump; he hit the ground and sacrificed a top three finish to cross the line in 10th. One week after losing the red plate to Ramon, Philippaerts is again in charge of the MX1-GP World Championship by 7 points over the Belgian. Coppins is still third but now 35 behind. Yamaha hold a 14 point lead in the manufacturer's table. A three week break now precedes a hard and rapid finale to the season. Three consecutive Grand Prix, in Ireland, Holland and Italy, will close the campaign by mid-September. The trip to the Fairyhouse horse racing venue for a new track just outside Dublin will represent round thirteen on August 31st. David Philippaerts, Yamaha Monster Motocross Team, 1st: "This is a great win for me and it has come at a good time. I pushed really hard in that first moto after a stupid crash and passed many riders. I found some good lines and just went for it. The track was very difficult but the team had worked hard in the last week to give me a bike that was perfect and I felt really happy being able to push. My goal was to at least catch Ramon but I found I could keep going and the top three was possible. In the second moto I took one or two risks but then was able to make good lap-times when I was in the lead and had a great race. For me Loket is a very real and natural motocross track and has similarities to some places in Italy. We have three races left now and I will try hard each time to get the best position I can. We will then see if the championship is ours or not! Josh Coppins, Yamaha Monster Motocross Team, 9th: "If I am honest then I am happy to get out of here uninjured because it was a big crash for me in the second race and I was lucky not to get hurt. I don't seem to get on too well with Loket! Overall it was a disappointing day and nothing went right. I felt like I was riding pretty good but I was struggling with my vision in the first race after a stone whacked my goggles and broke the strap clean off. It was a freak thing. Thankfully it did not happen again in the second race but I was suffering from the first; my eyes were watering and it was very difficult to go fast. I could not race how I wanted because I couldn't glimpse the bumps clearly and things were all blurry; it was even quite dangerous sometimes. I hit a false neutral over the jump in the second race. I went over the bars and it more or less ended the moto. I ripped my pants, broke the buckle and my kidney belt was away somewhere. I feel pretty sore now and have some cuts and bruises. We still have some races left in this championship and the next challenge is to keep positive over this break until the next Grand Prix." Mino Raspanti, Racing Manager, Yamaha Monster Motocross Team: "This was a fantastic response after Lommel. David tried to pass another rider in the first lap of the first moto and the crash meant he had a lot of work to do from outside the top twenty, but wow, what a job. After two laps he had a good lap-time but was still far away and it wasn't until the halfway mark when he reached eighth and the group ahead that we realised a top three was a possibility. It was a great race. He started OK in Moto2 but the first two corners were excellent and he passed three or four riders to lead. He then did not make any mistakes to finish a fantastic weekend. Josh was so unlucky again. To race here without goggles is very tough but he is a strong guy and pushed very hard to finish the moto. The false neutral and the big crash probably cost him a podium. He lost some points in the championship but is still third with three GPs to go. YRRD have been working hard and were able to give us some new parts this weekend so a big thank you to them." Race 1 - 21 Laps Pos., Rider, Manu., Nat., Total Time 1, Maximilian Nagl, KTM, GER, 39'38.255 2, Jonathan Barragan, KTM, ESP, 0'8.690 3, David Philippaerts, Yamaha, ITA, 0'16.171 4, Steve Ramon, Suzuki, BEL, 0'19.210 5, Sébastien Pourcel, Kawasaki, FRA, 0'20.225 6, Tanel Leok, Kawasaki, EST, 0'20.798 7, Joshua Coppins, Yamaha, NZL, 0'23.086 8, Ken De Dycker, Suzuki, BEL, 0'24.745 9, Clement Desalle, Suzuki, BEL, 0'37.346 10, Kornel Nemeth, KTM, HUN, 0'50.532 11, Manuel Priem, Kawasaki, BEL, 0'54.403 12, Gregory Aranda, Kawasaki, FRA, 0'58.941 13, Bradley Anderson, Suzuki, GBR, 1'0.900 14, Steve Boniface, Honda, FRA, 1'8.367 15, Marc De Reuver, Honda, NED, 1'9.294 16, Aigar Leok, Yamaha, EST, 1'15.572 17, Alex Salvini, Suzuki, ITA, 1'19.569 18, Martin Michek, Honda, CZE, 1'20.518 19, Carlos Campano, Yamaha, ESP, 1'30.893 20, Alessio Chiodi, TM, ITA, 1'32.081 Race 2 - 21 Laps Pos., Rider, Manu., Nat., Total Time 1, David Philippaerts, Yamaha, ITA, 40'18.466 2, Sébastien Pourcel, Kawasaki, FRA, 0'4.986 3, Ken De Dycker, Suzuki, BEL, 0'6.206 4, Steve Ramon, Suzuki, BEL, 0'10.184 5, Jonathan Barragan, KTM, ESP, 0'14.943 6, Tanel Leok, Kawasaki, EST, 0'17.849 7, Manuel Priem, Kawasaki, BEL, 0'24.837 8, Clement Desalle, Suzuki, BEL, 0'31.930 9, Maximilian Nagl, KTM, GER, 0'39.030 10, Joshua Coppins, Yamaha, NZL, 0'51.460 11, Gregory Aranda, Kawasaki, FRA, 0'52.513 12, Kornel Nemeth, KTM, HUN, 0'54.687 13, Aigar Leok, Yamaha, EST, 0'56.987 14, Alex Salvini, Suzuki, ITA, 0'59.846 15, Bradley Anderson, Suzuki, GBR, 1'0.810 16, Steve Boniface, Honda, FRA, 1'11.377 17, Marc De Reuver, Honda, NED, 1'16.289 18, Kevin Strijbos, Kawasaki, BEL, 1'20.246 19, Tom Church, Kawasaki, GBR, 1'24.554 20, Jiri Cepelak, Yamaha, CZE, 1'34.332 Rider Standings 10/08/2008 Pos., Rider, Manu., Nat., Points 1, David Philippaerts, Yamaha, ITA, 405 2, Steve Ramon, Suzuki, BEL, 398 3, Joshua Coppins, Yamaha, NZL, 370 4, Ken De Dycker, Suzuki, BEL, 369 5, Jonathan Barragan, KTM, ESP, 369 6, Sébastien Pourcel, Kawasaki, FRA, 344 7, Maximilian Nagl, KTM, GER, 327 8, Tanel Leok, Kawasaki, EST, 275 9, Billy MacKenzie, Honda, GBR, 257 10, Marc De Reuver, Honda, NED, 224 11, Clement Desalle, Suzuki, BEL, 215 12, Manuel Priem, Kawasaki, BEL, 197 13, Kornel Nemeth, KTM, HUN, 159 14, Julien Bill, Honda, CHE, 148 15, Aigar Leok, Yamaha, EST, 131 16, Mike Brown, Honda, USA, 107 17, Marcus Schiffer, KTM, GER, 97 18, James Noble, KTM, GBR, 93 19, Steve Boniface, Honda, FRA, 75 20, Tom Church, Kawasaki, GBR, 74 23, Carlos Campano, Yamaha, ESP, 44 Manufacturer Standings 10/08/2008 Pos., Manufacturer, Points 1, Yamaha, 471 2, Suzuki, 457 3, KTM, 452 4, Kawasaki, 420 5, Honda, 362 6, TM, 32 7, Aprilia, 12 ---------- RACE REPORT - 10/08/2008 Aubin 4th in Czech Republic Yamaha Ricci Racing's Nico Aubin missed out on a podium position by just one point at a cloudy but dry Loket circuit for the Grand Prix of Czech Republic and the twelfth round of fifteen in the 2008 FIM MX2-GP World Championship.The Frenchman was 4th overall at the venue where he scored his maiden victory twelve months earlier. The hard and fast Loket mud meant that it was very difficult for riders to make up time on their competitors while even the smallest mistake conceded hard-won ground to pursuers.The 20 year old took 2nd place in his qualification heat on Saturday despite suffering a stomach illness which took the edge from his physical condition.He had an average start in the first of the two 35 minute and 2 lap motos but fought back to capture 3rd spot behind runaway leaders Tyla Rattray and Tommy Searle. The duo battled for the win again in an entertaining Moto2 while Aubin had to strive against countrymen Steve Frossard and Anthony Boissiere for a top five position. Finally abdominal pain meant that 6th position was the best he could manage. Second best Yamaha finisher was 3C Racing's Manuel Monni. The 2008 Italian MX2 champion registered 11th and 8th for a decent top ten standing and 8th overall. Monni spent long periods of the first moto chasing and fighting with sole Red Bull De Carli representative Alessandro Lupino. The teenager notched the best result of his short career to-date with a decent start and 12th behind his fellow Italian. A tougher second moto meant he finished 17th, but 13th overall was a landmark. Aubin's team-mate Davide Guarneri was 12th at the end of the afternoon and although he could only complete the second moto he gained 14 points for 7th spot. The Italian was fighting for 11th in Moto1 until a crash three laps from the line dropped him far behind the pack and he rode into the pit-lane, well out of the points. A more positive outing in Moto2 produced his eighth top ten result this season. Guarneri is missing a ligament in his right knee and is currently reviewing his options to have corrective surgery in order to use the winter months for rehabilitation and come back fully fit for testing and preparation in 2009. Impressive 18 year old American Zach Osborne was on slightly easier ground compared to the demands of his world championship debut last week in the deep Belgian sand. The Utag Yamaha.com rider has signed with the British team to finish the Grand Prix season with the YZ250F and although his lap-times would have guaranteed a top ten finish he suffered a mechanical problem in Moto1 and was knocked off the bike on the fourth corner of Moto2 which meant he had to restart from last and reached 16th position. Yamaha Van Beers Evgeny Bobryshev was back in Grand Prix action after missing the last round in Belgium to win the final meeting of the Russian MX1 series with a YZ450F. The rookie missed the points in Moto1 and had a big crash on a steep downhill in Moto2 but was able to walk away. Aubin's points haul in Loket and Shaun Simpson's absence due to a fractured collarbone in Saturday practice means that he is 3 points from 4th position in the championship standings. Tony Cairoli is still 3rd despite missing the last two events and the rest of the season after the operation on his left knee. Monni is 10th. Three consecutive Grand Prix events - in Ireland (Dublin), Holland (Lierop) and Italy (Faenza) will finish the season after a three week break which now lies ahead for the teams and riders of the MX1-GP and MX2-GP categories. Nicolas Aubin, Yamaha Ricci Racing, 4th: "I am a bit disappointed because I had pain in my stomach today and for sure this affected my speed; I knew before the races that it would be a difficult GP. I had a bad start in the first moto but I made my way to 3rd and then tried to catch Tommy. I started to have some pain and had to ease-off at the end. It was the same problem in Moto2 but this time after a few laps, right at the time I was fighting with a group of riders. 4th overall is not a bad result considering the problem I had and now we have a few weeks before Ireland. It is bad luck for Shaun that he missed this GP because he has ridden well this season but I hope we can fight on the track again and both try for that third position in the championship." Davide Guarneri, Yamaha Ricci Racing, 12th: "It was a bad weekend up until the last moto! I did not ride well on Saturday; I was too tense on the bike and then had a bad start in the heat race. In the first moto I got the start wrong again and my speed was not so good. When a rider put me on the floor I was too far behind by the time I restarted and stopped. I was angry for the second moto and pushed as hard as I could to reach 7th, which was much better. This might be the last race for me, although I will be in Ireland if the doctor cannot do the operation in the next few weeks." Alessandro Lupino, Yamaha Red Bull De Carli, 13th: "Today I had two good starts and this was very important; I was really happy about this and also the fact I could do some good lap-times that were not too far from the front guys. Fighting with Monni was fun and it was like an Italian championship race! Staying in front of him for 17 laps was very hard, so it is something I can be pleased about. It has been a tough time for the team so I am pleased I can give them a small result and show that I am making progress in my first season." Zach Osborne, Utag Yamaha.com, 22nd: "To say I did not have much luck today is a big understatement. I am a bit disappointed because I had the lap-times to be hanging with the top five but it overall it was a good learning experience because I sorted my starts. I will head back to the US to do Southwick on a 450 and then return in time to be ready for Ireland." Race 1 - 21 Laps Pos., Rider, Manu., Nat., Total Time 1, Tyla Rattray, KTM, RSA, 40'20.524 2, Tommy Searle, KTM, GBR, 0'4.493 3, Nicolas Aubin, Yamaha, FRA, 0'9.888 4, Stephen Sword, Kawasaki, GBR, 0'11.828 5, Anthony Boissière, KTM, FRA, 0'13.149 6, Steven Frossard, Kawasaki, FRA, 0'14.178 7, Joel Roelants, KTM, BEL, 0'14.995 8, Rui Goncalves, KTM, POR, 0'15.974 9, Jeremy Tarroux, KTM, FRA, 0'17.119 10, Xavier Boog, Suzuki, FRA, 0'36.511 11, Manuel Monni, Yamaha, ITA, 0'39.144 12, Alessandro Lupino, Yamaha, ITA, 0'42.322 13, Jake Nicholls, Suzuki, GBR, 0'49.717 14, Marvin Musquin, Honda, FRA, 0'52.567 15, Jason Dougan, Suzuki, GBR, 0'54.891 16, Carl Nunn, Suzuki, GBR, 0'56.787 17, Gert Krestinov, KTM, EST, 1'2.672 18, Loic Rombaut, Kawasaki, FRA, 1'5.522 19, Gunter Schmidlinger, Honda, AUT, 1'8.845 20, Petr Smitka, Yamaha, CZE, 1'13.475 Race 2 - 21 Laps Pos., Rider, Manu., Nat., Total Time 1, Tommy Searle, KTM, GBR, 40'44.956 2, Tyla Rattray, KTM, RSA, 0'11.162 3, Anthony Boissière, KTM, FRA, 0'14.520 4, Steven Frossard, Kawasaki, FRA, 0'19.897 5, Stephen Sword, Kawasaki, GBR, 0'23.158 6, Nicolas Aubin, Yamaha, FRA, 0'26.136 7, Davide Guarneri, Yamaha, ITA, 0'28.266 8, Manuel Monni, Yamaha, ITA, 0'28.909 9, Jeremy Van Horebeek, KTM, BEL, 0'31.683 10, Rui Goncalves, KTM, POR, 0'34.397 11, Xavier Boog, Suzuki, FRA, 0'43.388 12, Jeremy Tarroux, KTM, FRA, 0'47.232 13, Matti Seistola, Honda, FIN, 0'48.062 14, Carl Nunn, Suzuki, GBR, 0'50.107 15, Elliott Banks-Browne, Suzuki, GBR, 0'52.827 16, Zach Osborne, Yamaha, USA, 0'53.855 17, Alessandro Lupino, Yamaha, ITA, 0'59.025 18, Gert Krestinov, KTM, EST, 1'1.139 19, Loic Rombaut, Kawasaki, FRA, 1'8.502 20, Joel Roelants, KTM, BEL, 1'9.492 Rider Standings 10/08/2008 Pos., Rider, Manu., Nat., Points 1, Tyla Rattray, KTM, RSA, 499 2, Tommy Searle, KTM, GBR, 479 3, Antonio Cairoli, Yamaha, ITA, 357 4, Shaun Simpson, KTM, GBR, 312 5, Nicolas Aubin, Yamaha, FRA, 309 6, Rui Goncalves, KTM, POR, 303 7, Steven Frossard, Kawasaki, FRA, 248 8, Xavier Boog, Suzuki, FRA, 245 9, Jeremy Van Horebeek, KTM, BEL, 244 10, Manuel Monni, Yamaha, ITA, 226 11, Stephen Sword, Kawasaki, GBR, 212 12, Anthony Boissière, KTM, FRA, 210 13, Marvin Musquin, Honda, FRA, 180 14, Davide Guarneri, Yamaha, ITA, 167 15, Jeremy Tarroux, KTM, FRA, 161 16, Joel Roelants, KTM, BEL, 148 17, Gregory Aranda, Kawasaki, FRA, 101 18, Gautier Paulin, Kawasaki, FRA, 95 19, Carl Nunn, Suzuki, GBR, 85 20, Gert Krestinov, KTM, EST, 80 25, Alessandro Lupino, Yamaha, ITA, 45 26, Evgeny Bobryshev, Yamaha, RUS, 42 29, Matteo Bonini, Yamaha, ITA, 25 43, Deny Philippaerts, Yamaha, ITA, 7 Manufacturer Standings 10/08/2008 Pos., Manufacturer, Points 1, KTM, 569 2, Yamaha, 520 3, Kawasaki, 371 4, Suzuki, 296 5, Honda, 234

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.