Alex Asigno
Alex Asigno

Corser and Haga make progress at Valencia tests

GetAttachment.aspx&hm__qs=file%3d53e6482
Troy Corser
Troy Corser
Circuit Length: 4005m Temp: 23 Weather: Sunny, windy on day two Yamaha Motor Italy WSB riders Troy Corser and Noriyuki Haga each worked hard to find good base settings at a very windy but dry Valencia circuit, with Corser taking fifth fastest lap of the tests on his YZF-R1, with Haga just one place behind in the final ranking. With the YZF-R1 an all-new machine this season, Haga and Corser still have many development parts to try out and after the experiences of the first two races of the year, each concentrated great efforts in matching machine set-up to tyre choice, to make rear traction last over full race distance. In contention for fast times throughout, Corser also worked through new brake components and rated them an improvement, an important factor at a circuit with many turns and frequent braking points. Haga survived two crashes unharmed, but left knowing he still has to find an optimal set-up for Valencia’s race weekend itself, in one month’s time. Team YZF Yamaha's Shinichi Nakatomi continued his never-ending cycle of development on his R1, testing new suspension parts and settings from Kayaba, and finding improvements through the test. He was 15th fastest overall. Troy Corser (Yamaha Motor Italy WSB Team) "We tried a few new links on the back of the bike and it has definitely made the bike better and easier to ride. It doesn’t seem to matter which tyres we got today because none of them seemed to work over race distance any better than the others. We found an improvement in the mapping to improve the response in the midrange, even if it is still a bit too flat in that area. Overall the test was not so bad and we tried some different brakes and callipers as well - and they were better. We have a pretty good bike set-up around here, we just need to get the tyres matched up in terms of compound. I think everyone else is in the same boat."

Noriyuki Haga
Noriyuki Haga
Noriyuki Haga (Yamaha Motor Italy WSB Team) "I found a good front tyre here, but I cannot take too much satisfaction away from these two days. I tried a lot of different settings but this morning I had two crashes, one on the left side and one on the right side. We continued to work a lot on the suspension and the linkage but I could not find a really good feeling. The wind really did not help me as well. But I had good confidence with my qualifying tyres, better than in Phillip Island and Qatar races. But we still have a lot of work to do on the suspension when we get here for the race.” Massimo Meregalli (Team Coordinator - Yamaha Motor Italy WSB Team) "We worked our way through a lot of different settings and links for the rear suspension at this test. Our main job was just trying to find a way to make things easier for the rear tyre, to make it last better over full race distance. We also had new exhausts on one of Troy’s bikes for comparison with the previous system, as part of our development programme."

Shinichi Nakatomi
Shinichi Nakatomi
Shinichi Nakatomi (Team YZF Yamaha) "I tried many new suspension settings on the machine in this test and some new parts. We worked a lot on suspension. We were looking for a base setting for the Valencia race and the feeling with the bike got better and better. We set the best lap time in the last session, even in the strong wind, so that proves that we made improvements." 1 Bayliss T. Ducati 1'34.102 2 Xaus R. Ducati 1'34.565 3 Lanzi L. Ducati 1'34.584 4 Biaggi M. Suzuki 1'34.708 5 Corser T. Yamaha 1'34.851 6 Haga N. Yamaha 1'35.029 7 Nieto F. Kawasaki 1'35.410 8 Muggeridge K. Honda 1'35.470 9 Neukirchner M. Suzuki 1'35.532 10 Laconi R. Kawasaki 1'35.639 15 Nakatomi S. Yamaha 1'36.832
Curtain fastest after strong test results for Yamaha riders Yamaha World Supersport Team rider Kevin Curtain secured the quickest supersport lap time after two days of official testing at Valencia, and in a highly positive shakedown for all Yamaha riders, four of the top six riders were YZR-R6 mounted. Curtain, concentrating his efforts on race distance testing and preparations for the Valencia race in mid April, was still clearly the fastest rider on show, with second quickest time overall going to Massimo Roccoli (Yamaha Team Italia Lorenzini by Leoni). Broc Parkes, Curtain’s team-mate, was fifth fastest, and like Curtain, expended his energies on tyre endurance and race set-up. The tests were blessed by warm conditions and a dry track on each of the two days, but on day two the ever-present wind peaked in its intensity, making conditions tricky for all in the last afternoon session. Kevin Curtain (Yamaha World Supersport Team) "We accomplished a little bit at this test. We spent a bit of time working on suspension settings to get more life out of the rear tyre and I guess we doubled the life we could expect to get. That was pretty good. There was a lot of wind across the track today but the times I did this morning were a little bit better. It would have been good to get into the 1’36s but we were not really here to do fast single lap times; but you have to ride at race pace to test properly. So all we did were long runs and long runs. I think we did about 60 laps each day. We’re pretty happy, and this was a step in the right direction." Broc Parkes (Yamaha World Supersport Team) "We did a lot of race testing here, concentrating on tyre endurance after the last couple of rounds, and we went in a good direction. We worked through a few new springs and settings and we did more work on the new rear suspension units that we started the year with. I think they are really ready now. I didn’t put in a tyre in to try and do a single fast lap, but even my times on a race set-up, with a full tank of fuel, were still pretty fast. It all looks good." Massimo Roccoli (Yamaha Team Italia Lorenzini by Leoni) "This proved to be a good test for us because I have sometimes had problems at this track in the past, so to set the second fastest time was a good result. Also we found a good set-up for the race here, and worked a lot with the suspension and tyres, so I think we will be ready for the race." 1 Curtain K. Yamaha 1'37.126 2 Roccoli M. Yamaha 1'37.498 3 Foret F. Kawasaki 1'37.556 4 Fujiwara K. Honda 1'37.590 5 Parkes B. Yamaha 1'37.635 6 Salom D. Yamaha 1'37.984 7 Alfonsi L. Honda 1'38.104 8 Riba P. Kawasaki 1'38.145 9 Kallio V. Suzuki 1'38.333 10 Peris C. Yamaha 1'38.724 11 Ivanov V. Yamaha 1'38.575 14 Peris C. Yamaha 1'38.724 19 Talmacsi G. Yamaha 1'39.966 20 Forner D. Yamaha 1'40.174 24 Vincent A. Yamaha 1'40.622 25 Enjolras J. Yamaha 1'40.883

Claudio Corti
Claudio Corti
Corti fastest after positive test at Valencia One day before the Supersport and Superbike classes had their chance to start testing at Valencia the Superstock riders made their last test before the start of the season at Donington Park on April 1. Claudio Corti showed the potential of the new 2007 YZF-R1, scoring the fastest lap of all and setting himself up well for the first round, while his team-mate Michele Pirro was an impressive fourth quickest, despite feeling that he still has a lot of learning to do in the Superstock class. Claudio Corti (Yamaha Team Italia Lorenzini by Leoni) “I am very pleased with the performance of the new rear suspension and it makes all the difference to the steering. The front forks are also very good with the latest settings, and the new tyres we use in this class this year are going to make a big difference. I am confident for the new season.” Michel Pirro (Yamaha Team Italia Lorenzini by Leoni) “I think I am riding the bike too much like a 250 and not enough like a big four-stroke Superstock bike. I need to learn how to brake properly on this bike but I am sure as time goes on I can be competitive on the machine.” 1 Corti C. Yamaha 1'37.420 2 Badovini A. MV Agusta 1'37.582 3 Canepa N. Ducati 1'38.211 4 Pirro M. Yamaha 1'38.320 5 Sacchetti D. MV Agusta 1'38.616 6 Van Keymeulen D. Yamaha 1'38.685 7 Baiocco M. Yamaha 1'38.686 8 Aitchison M. Suzuki 1'38.769 9 Simeon X. Suzuki 1'39.027 10 Dell'Omo D. MV Agusta 1'39.085 13 Mahr R. Yamaha 1'39.400 18 Tangre C. Yamaha 1'39.906 19 Gieseler T. Yamaha 1'40.103 21 Giuseppetti D. Yamaha 1'40.361 25 Depoorter O. Yamaha 1'41.324 27 Schouten R. Yamaha 1'42.003 29 Van Den Broeck W. Yamaha 1'43.192

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.