Alex Asigno
Alex Asigno

Cairoli now turning heads on four wheels

MX2-GP World Champion Antonio Cairoli recently took delivery of Yamaha’s extreme 4x4 Rhino vehicle to continue his off-road exploits, although perhaps with less need for a helmet and boots! The 22 year old Sicilian, of the Yamaha Red Bull De Carli team, travelled to the headquarters of Yamaha Motor Italy to pick-up his new mode of transportation. “I asked Yamaha last year ‘if I won the world championship, would I be able to have a Rhino?’ and they were very helpful,” he said. “After the season finished I got a nice call saying that the Rhino would be ready for me.” I had tested one in France before and I really liked it. It feels a little similar to an ATV but obviously it is a little easier to drive and is not something for competition.” The Rhino houses a 660cc four-stroke engine and boasts four-wheel drive in order to help it conquer the trickiest and most difficult of terrain. The vehicle has gathered a cult following upon its launch and has popped up at several Motocross Grand Prix in recent years. Tech 3 Yamaha MotoGP rider Colin Edwards even has a special customised paint-job with his version. “I’m having a lot of fun with it,” continued Cairoli. “We had a special edition unit. It is a quick little thing and the engine is strong. I asked if it can be made ready for use on the road and now I keep it back home in Sicily. It is fantastic for making the 3km trip from my house to the beach!”

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.