Alex Asigno
Alex Asigno

Cairoli hungry for third MX2-GP world championship

The 2007 FIM MX2-GP Motocross World Championship was very much a success story for Yamaha De Carli rider Antonio Cairoli. The Sicilian blazed a path through the season’s statistics book on his YZ250F. Along with the 10 GP wins and 21 moto chequered flags the double world champ’s consistency meant that he only dropped out of the top two twice from 28 MX2-GP races. Add an MX1-GP debut triumph, an Italian MX2 title and a European Supercross championship and it hard to believe how Cairoli can top this performance in 2008. Despite his many races and vast amount of silverware gained through the past twelve months the popular rider insists that his motivation for an attempt at a third MX2-GP crown (to equal the quantity set by former Yamaha great Alessio Chiodi) remains high, not to mention keeping his hoards of native fans content with his endeavours on Italian soil. “I did a lot of races in 2007 but I feel fresh and ready for another challenge in 2008,” the 22 year old said. “My main goal is of course another world title but I also want to retain an Italian championship. The Supercross was a lot of fun at the end of the year although I am still not sure if I will do the tour again at the end of this season.” An arduous 2007 saw ten months of racing in three separate series leave Cairoli with little time to recharge his batteries and take stock. The racer, who splits his time between his Sicilian home and bases in Rome and Belgium, did manage to hit the ski slopes for several weeks and also think about the competition he faces onboard his new Red Bull-backed YZ come Holland on April 6th for round one of fifteen in the FIM world championship.

“It was good to get some holidays,” he commented “I did not travel far and instead chose to relax for three weeks at home and do some snowboarding in northern Italy.” “I think this season Tommy Searle, Nicolas Aubin and Davide Guarneri will be real threats. I think we will have some surprises and there will be some young riders that can fight with me for the championship; it will be fun.” For the second year in a row the De Carli team fields Cairoli, Matteo Bonini and Alessandro Lupino in both international and national competitions. The squad get their 2008 calendar underway this weekend with the first round of the Italian championship at the Montevarchi circuit. In perhaps something of a preview as to his future plans Cairoli will be steering a YZ450F in the MX1 category. “Of course we are looking towards 2009 and MX1 for Tony,” said Team Manager and Owner Claudio de Carli. “It is crucial that he starts to adapt to riding the 450 and that we can get the bike set-up for him in racing conditions. The Italian championship starts early and they are important races for us but it is also a way in which we can build up to the world championship.”

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.