Virago 535 Hardtail

Screw Guernsey
This post is 4456 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I picked up a Virago 535 in a very poor state of affairs:

2uhu2xf.jpg

And my mate had a hardtail frame:

2uyrdoh.jpg

So I thought I'd let him loose with the 2 and see what he could do.

Virago stripped:

zmmtk3.jpg

Engine and forks on the frame:

b69duu.jpg

Rear hub integrated into the frame:

wim52g.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Everything cleaned and painted, wiring started:

52x955.jpg

Nearly there:

rkdgcg.jpg

Off to have the exhaust and inlet manifold fabricated:

2hgbj48.jpg

Should be back with me for finishing touches soon!

OOH... I rather like the look of where this seems to be heading!

• 5 weeks later...

Just read this and I agree that this looks a very good project. The 535 does nothing for me but this looks like it could be a cracker. The V twin in that frame looks superb.

Not my thing but fair play to you bikes are very personal things.

Only thing bothering me and its my engineering head, that integration of the hub.... Those bolts on the shaft flange, are they REALLY man enough to do all that your asking? Hold the torque of the shaft and hold on to the rear hub, as well as coping with the torque reaction of the drum brake, esp being a hard tail?

Sorry to be a bore, just it lept off the screen at me thats all.

The bolts seem the standard size as they are in the casing. I would hope think that there are 4 bolts (2 the other side of what we can see) and that the fabricated bracket encases the shaft the other side of the shaft, but the same side of the wheel so all bolts are secured. If the welded bracket comes loose then that would cause a serious ar5e slap.

The bolts seem the standard size as they are in the casing. I would hope think that there are 4 bolts (2 the other side of what we can see) and that the fabricated bracket encases the shaft the other side of the shaft, but the same side of the wheel so all bolts are secured. If the welded bracket comes loose then that would cause a serious ar5e slap.

Its just me being me but i can help feeling that the stress load point on that hub is the shock mount. That flange isn't there to take load thats all.

I may just be being over the top.

Couldn't make my mind up about those bars but by the time I'd finished reading, yep, like them big time

Its just me being me but i can help feeling that the stress load point on that hub is the shock mount. That flange isn't there to take load thats all.

I may just be being over the top.

Time will tell! Fortunately we've got a massively fast 35mph speed limit over here (just a guideline, obviously!!) so hopefully it won't get too much grief. Also, I don't think torque will be a problem - it is only a 535, after all!

Hopefully there will be some more updates soon. With any luck the exhaust and inlet manifold should now be done, so should be just a case of sticking the carb on (single SU carb from an old mini), bang it on the dyno and set it up, then out on the road!! (Just in time for winter!! :eusa_think: )

• 1 month later...

Well, progress has been slower than I had hoped, due to various people letting me down on timings! However, it's nearly there! Just needs a final bit of work on the paint on the tank, and needs tweaking on the Dyno, then I should have it back!

2dkn283.jpg

14mbc6a.jpg

• 1 month later...

Right all, I need some opinions. Just need to finalise the colour scheme. I had to get a new tank, as the old one leaked. Here's how it looks at the moment:

2i6l3kn.jpg

I was thinking of spraying the red bits of the tank black, leaving the cream bit as it is, red rims and whitewall tyres. Kind of like this (excuse the photoshopping - it's just to give an idea, and imagine the front wheel the same as the back!):

6ed98y.jpg

But I'm open to suggestions and opinions!

Looking good! How about instead of black on the tank try a dark green and also a dark green on the rims? photo shop it n see what you think?

Also are you putting a sprung seat on or is this how it will be? just that the rear end looks incomplete to me.

All the best

Noise

Just had another look tho........that tank looks good as it is to be truthful! it actually goes really well with how the bike is!

• 1 month later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online