Have a few questions about my XS400

joecool85
This post is 5887 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was given a 1982 Yamaha XS400S by my future brother in law. He had bought it for my sister to ride, then decided it needed too much work for him to fix it (he was right). I'm fixing it up, I've worked on bikes before, but have a lot more experience working on cars.

The bike has a different front end (wheel, forks, caliper, even gauges). I've figured the front end to be from an XJ550.

Here are some pics:

xs400_1.jpg

xs400_2.jpg

xs400_3.jpg

I have a few questions:

I have read that this bike has either 27 or 38hp (both numbers are for SOHC engines), which is the correct number?

The bike currently has a 100/90-19 on the front (about 2" taller than stock) and I will be replacing it with a 90/90-19 (about 1.4" taller than stock). I'd like to run a 130/90-16 in the rear so that the rear wheel is taller than the front (like stock), will it fit?

I'm also interested in gearing it down a bit (mostly to compensate for the larger rear tire). I can only find stock sized sprockets from denniskirk.com, will an XS360 sprocket fit? Apparently they run 40 teeth in the rear, that's about what I'm looking for.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the 27hp was, primarily for german market, so you should have the 38hp version.

the xs would have 18" wheel front and 16" (for customs) on the rear (18", 2A2 versions)

I don't think the 130 section tyre would work, i had been given a 120 section and it was a mm away from the swing arm and fouled the chain guard.

you can get sprockets in any size teeth, if you have a standard xs hub, then the 360 should fit as I swap mine between 250 and 400. (watch out you don't get mixed up with the '81 seca/maxim as its a dohc and completly different)

check the bike hasn't been crashed if the front end has been replaced its probable.

the 27hp was, primarily for german market, so you should have the 38hp version.

the xs would have 18" wheel front and 16" (for customs) on the rear (18", 2A2 versions)

I don't think the 130 section tyre would work, i had been given a 120 section and it was a mm away from the swing arm and fouled the chain guard.

you can get sprockets in any size teeth, if you have a standard xs hub, then the 360 should fit as I swap mine between 250 and 400. (watch out you don't get mixed up with the '81 seca/maxim as its a dohc and completly different)

check the bike hasn't been crashed if the front end has been replaced its probable.

I've seen a lot of US based websites quoting 27hp and UK sites boasting 38hp, so I'm still not sure about that.

The stock rear tire size on this is 120/90-16, the chain guard on this bike has a factory cutaway where the tire goes. I think a 130/90-16 would squeeze in, but I could be wrong.

How would I know if the bike has been wrecked? It looks solid, and I got it running enough to go up the road, got up to 45mph and everything seemed solid. The engine had plenty more to give, and I was only in 4th gear, but I don't have my permit yet and only had a helmet on for gear, so I didn't want to push it lol.

So it looks like the big thing I need to know at this point is can I fit a 130/90-16 on my bike? If I have to do a little cutting/grinding I'm ok with that. I just don't want to buy/mount the tire only to find out it is absolutely impossible to get on the bike.

So it looks like the big thing I need to know at this point is can I fit a 130/90-16 on my bike? If I have to do a little cutting/grinding I'm ok with that. I just don't want to buy/mount the tire only to find out it is absolutely impossible to get on the bike.

why dont you measure one with a caliper and set it inside your swing arm to see. Other than buying one, that's all I can say about it!

why dont you measure one with a caliper and set it inside your swing arm to see. Other than buying one, that's all I can say about it!

I'll have to do that I guess, I was hoping maybe a fellow XS400 owner might have run one before.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online