1976 DT 400 carburetor issues

Motoduc84
This post is 5890 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Greetings:

Just learned of this site...and I will be here a lot! Longtime Yamaha rider!

Anyhow, last year, my older brother passed away...and his family is asking me to sell his 1976 DT 400. It is very clean and was ridden only 3,800 miles over the years. Which is probably the problem here.

It starts easily with the choke on and will run fine like that, but when you take the choke off...it dies. There was a lot of varnish in the carb, but I have sprayed and used air pressure and I think the jets and various holes are clean.

But the problem persists.

I have considered a new carburetor and it seems like there are plenty of Mikuni dealers around. But I am concerned about the right fit. Will a new Mikuni have the right plug for the auto injector? Other issues, perhaps?

There does not appear to be any leaks around the carb manifold and it runs too strongly to have a bad crankcase seal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Kent

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Greetings:

I think the jets and various holes are clean.

But the problem persists.

Thanks.

Kent

Hi Kent, thwelcomesmile1.gif to the forum. You really should check them jets are clear, youre going to have to remove them to check them properly, an old bike like that and with the symptoms you describe, they're almost certain to be blocked

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online