Hi, newbie with an old DT125MX!

blowpipe
This post is 5718 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I'm new here having just acquired a 1979 DT 125 MX, presently sitting in a garage in South West France.

The bike has been sitting up for the last eight years and has recently been serviced (I think this was just a new clutch, oil and filter) but is now running. I covered a few miles before a front puncture slowed things down. The learning point here is that inner tubes usually perish after such a lengthy rest....

I'm missing a flywheel cover for this bike, so if anyone can help out with one in any condition I'd be interested.

Cheers,

Paul

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

I'm new here having just acquired a 1979 DT 125 MX, presently sitting in a garage in South West France.

The bike has been sitting up for the last eight years and has recently been serviced (I think this was just a new clutch, oil and filter) but is now running. I covered a few miles before a front puncture slowed things down. The learning point here is that inner tubes usually perish after such a lengthy rest....

I'm missing a flywheel cover for this bike, so if anyone can help out with one in any condition I'd be interested.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi blowpipe, theres one at motolink, £22

http://www.yamahaspares.uk.com/dt125.html

Oh and thwelcomesmile1.gif

Many thanks for that, I'll give them a call.

Just my luck, 'all gone mate'!

Plea for one in any condition repeated!

Try this!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-DT175-MX-R-H-...p3286.m20.l1116

£12 postage seems steep tthough, It will need re spray satin black. It does show though that they do come along if you want to wait.

Many thanks, I hadn't spotted that. There's another sidecase cover on ebay at the moment, allegedly for at DT125/175 but it looks very different:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=004.

The one you've found looks a lot more akin to the hole left in my bike, although it's in France and I'm not, so I can't check. I've got an enquiry going through to the previous owner to see if he's still got it somewhere, but I'm not holding my breath...

Many thanks, I hadn't spotted that. There's another sidecase cover on ebay at the moment, allegedly for at DT125/175 but it looks very different:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=004.

The one you've found looks a lot more akin to the hole left in my bike, although it's in France and I'm not, so I can't check. I've got an enquiry going through to the previous owner to see if he's still got it somewhere, but I'm not holding my breath...

No the other one is the clutch cover and oil pump housing, and it lives on the right side of the engine!!

No the other one is the clutch cover and oil pump housing, and it lives on the right side of the engine!!

Just testing!

(Please could the mods add a red-faced smilie...)

That's the danger of buying parts for a bike that's a long way away..............

They are out there, aren't they? The postage to the UK would be steep, but I could ask for a quote...

Yep, youre bound to get one, ask for postage price certainly, and bear in mind this when you bid, given what you already know about the price of the other, and keep searching, youd be better searching for DT175MX though as there were a lot more of them sold and they have same engine cases, good luck.

Yep, youre bound to get one, ask for postage price certainly, and bear in mind this when you bid, given what you already know about the price of the other, and keep searching, youd be better searching for DT175MX though as there were a lot more of them sold and they have same engine cases, good luck.

He's after about £20 postage, so it's looking uneconomic. Thanks for the tip on DT175 searches, I'll keep looking.

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't!

Many thanks indeed, a lot more reasonable than some of the other stuff about. I'm still awaiting a reply from the previous owner to see if his cover's still around, but in the absence of a reply this looks promising. Cheers!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Dynamightwright

Hi all,

Cheers,

Paul

try this site ive rebuild two dt 175mx and can get all parts via http://www.redrose-retrobikes.co.uk/

Alan Wright

• 1 month later...

hello paul do you still have your dt???????

Certainly have.

Front forks seem to have leaked most of their oil as the bike dives alarmingly on braking, gearbox jumping into neutral every now and then, oil leak from somewhere but apart from that riding ok!

Gave it a thrash around the lake track near our house last week, a real hoot. The engine is still as rattly as ever, but picks up nicely in the lower gears.

The kids enjoy pillon sessions, so to date it's doing a good job as a holiday toy!