track day

antfzr
This post is 5979 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Your nearest track.
:lol:

Good advice, so long as your local track isn't Cadwell. I guess it depends on:

1. How confident you are and

2. What bike you're using.

Assuming it's an arse rocket, I'd suggest Silverstone as a first track. There will doubtless be many to disagree but it's a wiiiiiiiide track, allowing for the occasional safe screw-up, plus a lot of the run-off is tarmac; far less risk for your pride and joy. There's plenty of garage space and the food facilities are ok, too. I took my R6 for it's first track day hooning to Silverstone and caned the nadgers off it. Fantastic fun.

Alternatively, try a Ron Haslam race day at Donnington. You don't even have to take your bike. Or your lid or leathers, come to that. It would at least give you an idea as to what it's all about. You'll also learn just how to get a bike round the track properly, too; no bad thing to practice before you take your own pride and joy round a circuit.

Good advice, so long as your local track isn't Cadwell.

:angry: Oi...... whats up with Cadwell (bit biased it`s my favorite track!) ;)

Try Hopp Rider Trining (its at Cadwell :rolleyes: ) not a madhouse and you will learn a lot. Very good introdution to track use, with a l;ot that can be effective on the road!

http://www.hoppridertraining.co.uk/

Welcome to Hopp Rider Training

Not sure where you are but really your local track is the best place. Go on a novice day if pos. Get some instruction. And if you can't make a novice day, definitely sign in to the novice group of a regular day! On an FZR 400, a circuit like Brands or Cadwell would be more interesting maybe than somewhere like Snetterton where the 2 long straights might seem like forever! That said Snetters is great for novices cos its wide with loads of runoff areas!! :lol:

Wherever you decide, go do it!! and enjoy

Editornez

:lol:

Good advice, so long as your local track isn't Cadwell. I guess it depends on:

1. How confident you are and

2. What bike you're using.

Just out of interest, why do you say that?? I ask as my son in law is hell bent on a track day and Cadwell is our local circuit.

Thanks.

Rob

Just out of interest, why do you say that?? I ask as my son in law is hell bent on a track day and Cadwell is our local circuit.

Thanks.

Rob

Hi Rob. This is purely my opinion, from personal experience. I took my first TDM round Cadwell on a MCN track experience day (not a track day) and thoroughly enjoyed myself. We were allowed on the circuit as often as we liked but each time were resticted to three laps; out lap, hot (sort of) lap and in lap. It wasn't a track day and no one was allowed to hoon on the track.

However, taking the R6 round on a pukka track day (with Focused Events) was a completely different experience. Cadwell is amazing but (allegedly) the most dangerous track in the country. Whilst the park section (after the start-finish straight and up to the Mountain) is fast and flowing, the wooded section is very technical and can easily catch you unawares. The track is also VERY skinny.

Having had a couple of lunatics on hire bikes pass me on both sides coming out of the hairpin did nothing for my confidence. I am aware that this sort of thing is generally policed by the organisers but it freaked me out big time. Later, I later had the joy of another hire bike actually forcing me off track at 90+, up the grass at Coppice. Fortunately, I rejoined the tarmac safely (but slowly) on the Park Straight. Personally, whilst I'd like to return to Cadwell, I don't have good memories of that day. Silverstone, on the other hand was a riot. It's sheer width gave so much confidence and novices wobbling round had plenty of room to stay clear of Rossi wannabes.

I really don't think Cadwell is the right place for a first timer. It's only a personal opinion but there you are.

Cowardly Steve

Steve,

thanks for your honest reply, it's the sort of answer I was looking for. Silverstone and Donington have both been recomended by some biker friends, and one or two 'horror' stories about Cadwell back up what you say.

Many thanks.

Rob

You will find it is not the track thats the problem, itis being out of your depth that will get you. Dosn`t matter where you go, without proper instruction and a structured leaning curve, you can bin it anywhere.

It is the same as riding on the road, if you ride what you can see and gain some experience, you can build up speed later.

Just don`t go out with "the nutters", er I mean experienced progressive riders, until you are confident enough to hold your own.

You will be doing fast laps of the Nurburgring in no time :lol:

Steve,

thanks for your honest reply, it's the sort of answer I was looking for. Silverstone and Donington have both been recomended by some biker friends, and one or two 'horror' stories about Cadwell back up what you say.

Many thanks.

Rob

Cadwell is a top circuit,if you can ride around bends, if you can only go fast in a straight line it will be challenging. Its well run but crap facilities regards garages and power. Anglesey is great as is Oulton. Donny is wide and Croft is easy to learn, Rockingham and Silverstone are boring.

HTH

Cadwell is a top circuit,if you can ride around bends, if you can only go fast in a straight line it will be challenging. Its well run but crap facilities regards garages and power. Anglesey is great as is Oulton. Donny is wide and Croft is easy to learn, Rockingham and Silverstone are boring.

HTH

I see no-one has mentioned Mallory. It's a great track for a first track day, easy to learn, no tricky corners and is centrally located so should be close to wherever you are in the country.

Cadwell is a technical track, best left until more experience is gained or it will be a hard day and mistakes are not easily gotten away with.

Tell you this though, once you've done a track day you'll be hooked.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online