1981 XS 400 CARB ADJUSTMENTS

workman75
This post is 5891 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I know they were fixed screws with that pesky cap....the previous owner has done everything but destroyed these carbs and I've finally got them back into service. While I usually tune by ear and a carbtune, these little buggers do not want to sync or even out.

The engine is a fresh top end rebuild, new seals and valves reground. A mac exhaust with dunstall type reverse cone exhaust. I think the jets might need to go up a size...any suggestions?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I know they were fixed screws with that pesky cap....the previous owner has done everything but destroyed these carbs and I've finally got them back into service. While I usually tune by ear and a carbtune, these little buggers do not want to sync or even out.

The engine is a fresh top end rebuild, new seals and valves reground. A mac exhaust with dunstall type reverse cone exhaust. I think the jets might need to go up a size...any suggestions?

jets should be fine, need to check the mains on each carb as they can be different for a specific side (not uncommon)

when you say carb tune, do you mean the dial guages or that crappy contraption which fits on the end of carb and lifts a plastic bobble?

need to use the intake stubs and adjust the right side to match the left carb.

do it on tickover as the diaphrams can start taking over and messing up the settings. on my carbs the mixture screw is in for weaken out for richer