If you can sing the praises of XS360's, Let me hear your song!

Mike's76-XS360
This post is 5655 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

dont be daft, it worked fine

hear it is

431807142112_0_BG.jpg

Mike76,, Keep it !! It is a fun classic bike.. I bought mine two years ago and it has been all fun plus a lot of learning and help from this forum. Drewpy gets the Gold Star for being the Exalted Guru and Grand Pubah as far as I'm concerned on these XS's. I did the fair wear and tear fix up on it after I bought it, fork seals, Ignition coils and condenser , had the carbs cleaned etc.

Here is a picture of my Whizbang :

IMG_3922-2.jpg

Hey Harv, Drewpy or anybody, which model is that, exactly? I've got the same bike, but am having a fun time getting parts for it on some websites coz they're asking if it's for an XS360-D or XS360-2D. Same story at the local Yamaha dealership. I'm like, it's an XS360. Blank stare in return.

Is there even a difference between them for most anything like wheel bearings and such? I guess the serial number is no help coz it's a pre-80's bike.

Hey Harv, Drewpy or anybody, which model is that, exactly? I've got the same bike, but am having a fun time getting parts for it on some websites coz they're asking if it's for an XS360-D or XS360-2D. Same story at the local Yamaha dealership. I'm like, it's an XS360. Blank stare in return.

Is there even a difference between them for most anything like wheel bearings and such? I guess the serial number is no help coz it's a pre-80's bike.

It is a XS3602D. The main difference is it doesn't have a starter, kick start only. Drum breaks front and rear may be a diff too. But I think everything else is the same comparing part numbers and etc. A good place that I've bought parts for mine is partswarehouse.com. You can look up all the parts available similar to micro fiche.

Let me know if you can't find the site and I'll get it to you.

Best of luck....Harv.

• 1 month later...

Hello Gentleman,

Im taking this topic back from the dead because I just bought and am in the midst of restorin a 1977 xs360. She looks like crap and isnt fully running yet. I replaced the tires, battery, filters, wires, spark plugs, cleaned and rebuilt the carbs, pet cock, and front brake master cylinder, cleaned out and de-rusted the tank, and air filters. Ive sanded a bunch of rust off using a dremel tool and polished/painted a bunch of parts.

I plan on giving it a spray bomb paint job because the pain is terrible and the decals are faded.

Is there anything else I should consider doing?

-Matt

Hello Gentleman,

Im taking this topic back from the dead because I just bought and am in the midst of restorin a 1977 xs360. She looks like crap and isnt fully running yet. I replaced the tires, battery, filters, wires, spark plugs, cleaned and rebuilt the carbs, pet cock, and front brake master cylinder, cleaned out and de-rusted the tank, and air filters. Ive sanded a bunch of rust off using a dremel tool and polished/painted a bunch of parts.

I plan on giving it a spray bomb paint job because the pain is terrible and the decals are faded.

Is there anything else I should consider doing?

-Matt

take some pain-killers 1st! :D

replace the points, condensors, probably the coils, plug caps and leads. I think the 360's are points? If so, I'd go wholly electronic ignition, or replace as I've said. If I'm talking nonsense, then I apologise! Have you replaced the front brake caliper seals yet? You'll likely need to. Best idea is to take the lot off, stick a spare set of handlebars or rod in your bench vice, put the master cylinder on there and pump the piston out on your bench.

Start it, and check if the charging system works. Put a volt meter across the battery terminals. You should see around 14.5v when you rev it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online