Revs climb when bars are turned!

grusvag
This post is 5967 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

1979 XS400SG, new throttle cable. Problem is that when the bike is turned the revs climb! Not good. It's worse in one direction and at full lock. I think it's a modern cable with a plastic sheath inside so I understand it's not a good idea to lubricate inside those. Not sure if the cable needs to be clamped or secured somewhere in the middle. Any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds likethe cables been routed wrong.

When you turn the bike its pulling on the throttle and opening it up as theres no slack!

Take it off and put it back on properly - should sort it out.

Failing that the cable is probably too short.

Sounds likethe cables been routed wrong.

When you turn the bike its pulling on the throttle and opening it up as theres no slack!

Take it off and put it back on properly - should sort it out.

Failing that the cable is probably too short.

Couldn't find any good diagrams or photos in either of my manuals showing exactly where the throttle cable should be routed. Can I post a picture of how mine is routed for you to see?

Also, I replaced the bars with flatter ones along with replacing the throttle cable. If anything it looks too long, but I just don't know.

Yeah send us a piccy or post one on here honey so i can have a look - might not be that but best starting in what might be the most obvious place :D

Incidentally - is it revving its tits off when full lock is on in either direction? Or just one direction?

Yeah send us a piccy or post one on here honey so i can have a look - might not be that but best starting in what might be the most obvious place :D

Incidentally - is it revving its tits off when full lock is on in either direction? Or just one direction?

Don't know how much you'll be able to see from these but here you go. I can take the tank off to show you where that end goes too.

Yam3832.JPG

http://www.wynnphoto.com/Images/Yam3833.JPG

Revs don't go to redline but from idle (1500 - 2000) when bars are turned to full lock (right only) they climb to about 5000. Revs climb only in one direction, to the right.

Guest grisler54

Don't know how much you'll be able to see from these but here you go. I can take the tank off to show you where that end goes too.

Yam3832.JPG

http://www.wynnphoto.com/Images/Yam3833.JPG

Revs don't go to redline but from idle (1500 - 2000) when bars are turned to full lock (right only) they climb to about 5000. Revs climb only in one direction, to the right.

Try re-routing it over the light bracket, and around the far side of the steering stem and under the tank, if you got enough cable.

:huh:

Yam3832.jpg

If doing what grisler suggested don't work then It COULD be on the wrong way round INSIDE the switchgear.

Take it off and have a look at how is been put on in there - it could be on back to front - have done it meself and ended up with me bike revving like mad.

Routed it as suggested. Didn't fix it completely, revs still climb slightly when bars are at full lock to the right but it's good enough that I think I'm not going to worry about. Got enough other tasks to keep me occupied for now.

PS: What do you mean Goff that "it could be on the wrong way round INSIDE the switchgear"? Do you mean wrong way round on the bar end or the carb end? Not sure what you mean.

Anyway, here's how it's routed now which is much better:

Yam3835.jpg

Open up the switcgear that the throttle cable goes into and check it isnt kinked and that and that the cables are seated correctly. Ive done you a bit of a diagram - hope it makes sense lol.

switcgearcopy.jpg

Looks like I have a different carb than the one illustrated. Here's a shot of a pair identical to the ones on my bike. I bought these to rebuild - do you like all the overspray on them?! Kind of hard to screw up the routing on the carb on on mine.

Yam3858.jpg

I think I like yoda's idea best. Just lean!

;-)

Looks like I have a different carb than the one illustrated. Here's a shot of a pair identical to the ones on my bike. I bought these to rebuild - do you like all the overspray on them?! Kind of hard to screw up the routing on the carb on on mine.

Yam3858.jpg

I think I like yoda's idea best. Just lean!

;-)

Make sure you have enough slack in the cable. There should be enough to prevent this happening. You should be able to twist the throttle a bit before it starts to open the throttles with the bars in the middle, and if it's right it should prevent your problem. If the cable is too tight it will do as described as the cable tightens when the bars are turned.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online