DT - What are the MOT rules

Pedz
This post is 5986 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello

My bikes MOT is due next month, its a '98 DTR and when i first got it i removed the indicators and mirrors (Thought i would remove them rather than them getting smashed off whilst offroading :rolleyes: ).

What are the rules when it comes to the MOT, i don't think the mirrors matter but on the indicator front, obviously the switch is still there as are the indicator lights on the dials, will it fail as a result?

I have been told i need to remove the switch and paint/tape over the indicator warning lights on the dials for it to pass....is this correct???

Any help/advise/sites to visit for info would be appreciated

Cheers ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello

My bikes MOT is due next month, its a '98 DTR and when i first got it i removed the indicators and mirrors (Thought i would remove them rather than them getting smashed off whilst offroading :rolleyes: ).

What are the rules when it comes to the MOT, i don't think the mirrors matter but on the indicator front, obviously the switch is still there as are the indicator lights on the dials, will it fail as a result?

I have been told i need to remove the switch and paint/tape over the indicator warning lights on the dials for it to pass....is this correct???

Cheers ;)

Hi, I removed the indicators from my DT25 years ago, never had a problem with MOT. I always thought that if theyre fitted they must work. By the way never touched the switches, they're still there!

Hello

Cheers ;)

Hi, I removed the indicators from my DT 25 years ago, never had a problem with MOT. I always thought that if theyre fitted they must work. By the way never touched the switches, they're still there!

Oops double posted! :icon_confused:

Hi, I removed the indicators from my DT 25 years ago, never had a problem with MOT. I always thought that if theyre fitted they must work. By the way never touched the switches, they're still there!

Oops double posted! :icon_confused:

aye ur goin senile u old buger. :lol: and ur rite . as long as their removed . [ hand signals ] Speedo & lights ;

like them real enduro"s [ bare min]

Hang on a second:

If they are on the bike (indicators and mirrors) then they have to work -

BUT wasn't there a change in the law (around '98?) stating that newer machines HAD to have indicators (and possibly mirrors) for the MOT, which is what I'm guessing DT is on about? Can't remember the detail, but there has got to be a post or two somewhere on the interweb (possibly on the DVLA website itself) to confirm this situation?

Paul

http://www.ukmot.com/next.asp?ID=45

Hang on a second:

If they are on the bike (indicators and mirrors) then they have to work -

BUT wasn't there a change in the law (around '98?) stating that newer machines HAD to have indicators (and possibly mirrors) for the MOT, which is what I'm guessing DT is on about? Can't remember the detail, but there has got to be a post or two somewhere on the interweb (possibly on the DVLA website itself) to confirm this situation?

Paul

You may be right Paul, me and Blackhat are old timers and so what we have said is true for the bikes were riding, I have just checked with my bike shop and been told that bikes after 1984 need to have them fitted for the MOT. Well spotted :thumb:

You may be right Paul, me and Blackhat are old timers and so what we have said is true for the bikes were riding, I have just checked with my bike shop and been told that bikes after 1984 need to have them fitted for the MOT. Well spotted :thumb:

Thats not good.

I presume they have to be fitted if they have previously is the rule? My mates WR doesnt have them but it passes the MOT?

Think i'll just ring the guy who is gonna do it and see what he says.

I will be sure to let you all know though!

NOW THEN Here" a twist . guy on ebay selln MOTO.X 250. 55 REG . JUST MOT.d no speedo / no lights [daytime use only] he had to fit horn. & a battery/ and change tyres to MST. rated tyres. then saled thru.

lok 4ward to all comments :D

It's no help, just info, that the '78 XL250S I had up until last year was MOT'd both without indicators (when I was playing on the green lanes), and later with them (when I was only using it on-road) - when the indicators were removed so was the switch on the LHS switchgear...

Am sure that some MOT places are less 'critical' when it comes to the indicator issue, so it may be a case of where you go (but at pushing £30 for the new MOT, I'd try to make sure that they can't quibble about anything).

Plan to MOT my 1980 AG100 without indicators, when I get around to it...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online