Yamaha XVS 1300a Midnight Star

Snarf Blatt
This post is 5909 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a new Midnight Star which has now done 600 miles. I've noticed that when I turn it off and it starts to cool down there is a tiny amount of coolant coming from what looks like a round hole in the crank case. It might be a vent but should it be letting coolant out. Anybody got any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

oopps, that sounds like the mechanical seal for the oil/water pump. not good, must be under wty though??

oopps, that sounds like the mechanical seal for the oil/water pump. not good, must be under wty though??

That's what it sounds like to me. Look at the bottom of the waterpump. Look for the "weep" hole and see if there are tracks from the coolant leaking out of there.

Sean

Thanks for the advise. I spoke to the sales manager today. He says that he has been onto Yamaha and they say that they have not had any reported cases so far. But they have had similar cases with the Royal Star which has a similar internal water pump design. The message from Yamaha was that sometimes this problem goes away around about 1000 miles. If it doesnt yamaha have said that the job can be done under the warranty. This means the engine has to come out and the crankcase split to get to the pump. I cant help feeling a lack of confidence in the machine now and wonder if its worth asking for a replacement. What do you think? Is it worth waiting until a 1000 miles comes up which will probably be in the summer when I would be riding it.

yam wont replace bike ,,, they legally have to repair it for you, if after five repairs the fault is not rectified then you have legal rights ., you have to let them repair it,, give it 1000 or so miles and see, if it gets worse then seek advice from your local dealer again, yam is great company and in my years i have never been left high and dry by them,

yam wont replace bike ,,, they legally have to repair it for you, if after five repairs the fault is not rectified then you have legal rights ., you have to let them repair it,, give it 1000 or so miles and see, if it gets worse then seek advice from your local dealer again, yam is great company and in my years i have never been left high and dry by them,

Thanks for that. You've restored my confidence a bit. I've never had a new bike from yamaha before. I must admit my local dealer have always been helpful. Its just a big disapiontment to think I've spent the best part of £8.000 on a bike that could quite possibly be pulled to bits. It gets me wondering if there is something else thats going to go wrong. I was unaware of the legal side of things, thanks again

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online