XJ550 - forks knocking

steveralls
This post is 5694 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've just rebuilt the forks on my bike. The stanchions have been rechromed, new seals fitted ( teflon bushed retained ) and the correct amount of SAE10W oil used. The forks were reassembled as they came apart. There is no play in the fork legs and they are free to move up and down.

The problem is that when I hit a bump in the road or go over a ramp, there is a knocking from the front end which wasn't there before. It doesn't affect handling at all but I am a bit concerned. They also tend to be a lot softer than previously, bottoming out under heavy braking.

Anyone any idea what is wrong ??

Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've just rebuilt the forks on my bike. The stanchions have been rechromed, new seals fitted ( teflon bushed retained ) and the correct amount of SAE10W oil used. The forks were reassembled as they came apart. There is no play in the fork legs and they are free to move up and down.

The problem is that when I hit a bump in the road or go over a ramp, there is a knocking from the front end which wasn't there before. It doesn't affect handling at all but I am a bit concerned. They also tend to be a lot softer than previously, bottoming out under heavy braking.

Steve

check head bearings for play and adjust. are you sure its 10W? mine has 20W in.

Thanks Drewpy,

I'll check the head bearings in case they have 'settled', bike has just been rebuilt. I may try a heavier grade oil, see if it helps.

• 9 months later...

Steve

Hi,

First question is very important: Is there any leakage around the Hexagon Socket Head Bolt on the bottom of the fork? If so follow step 1). If not follow step 2).

1) take fork assembly off, turn upside down, manually compress, remove Hex bolt on bottom, clean, apply locking agent like Loc-Tite or fingernail polish and reinstall bolt. The washer is made of copper and is a one-time deal but, I have reused them many times with great success as long as you use a locking agent.

2) There are two problems that come to mind. One I am positive about and the other is probable. 1st> The is not enough fork oil in each tube. That will fix a lot. It will get stiffer, prevent bottoming as much, it will also help the knock ( I am guessing that it knocks when it rebounds - coming up) 2nd> Spend a little time bleeding the forks without the spring in. This will also help. Although, they will eventually bleed themselves out.

Hope this helps,

Mike.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online