xj550 seca splitting cases

socalyamaha
This post is 5612 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ok, threw a drive chain today and i think i killed third gear and maybe second. sounds like clacking when i put it into third.

but was able to ride home fifty miles just by passing 2 and 3 gear.

ok my question for you all is:

can you split the cases without having to take apart the cylinders and head?

yank the motor flip it and split cases apart just to get at the trans gears....

:(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ok, threw a drive chain today and i think i killed third gear and maybe second. sounds like clacking when i put it into third.

but was able to ride home fifty miles just by passing 2 and 3 gear.

ok my question for you all is:

can you split the cases without having to take apart the cylinders and head?

yank the motor flip it and split cases apart just to get at the trans gears....

:(

Man, it's been so long for me on those engines I don't remember if you can. Some yamaha models you can do that with but I think most of the inline fours have "hidden" bolts under the jugs so they have to come off to get to them. I just checked the micorfiche and it sure looks like you have to remove the heads.

You might be better off finding a replacement engine for the old girl. Yamaha is very good about interchagability so I would not be surprised if the seca II or the radian engines would not be a direct bolt in.

Sean

its a 1981 model NOT a "II" model.

i looked at the fiche last night and i didn't see any bolts under the jugs.

i also looked at the manual, it doesn't mention any bolts under the jugs....

its a 1981 model NOT a "II" model.

i looked at the fiche last night and i didn't see any bolts under the jugs.

i also looked at the manual, it doesn't mention any bolts under the jugs....

It looks like the main studs pass through the upper half of the block and into/through the heads. If that is the case the block won't split open without taking that stuff apart. The seca 2 (ii) was pretty much a similar engine but in a lot newer bike and more pep. I would bet it's almost or is a direct bolt in.

Sean

the two motors are completely different.

just look at the profiles....

They do look a little different but I would need to really get up close to one to see. If you look at these pics:

http://bikepics.com/pictures/1225566/

http://bikepics.com/pictures/1202775/

they look pretty similar but from the other side they look even more different.

There's a 550 engine on ebay right now for around $200 I think. Shipping overseas isn't impossible but it does make it a lore more tricky.

Sean Morley

it doesn't matter anymore, my thoughts were confirmed last night while on XJbikes.com

i can remove the bottom case without removing the cylinders!

yay!

• 9 months later...

it doesn't matter anymore, my thoughts were confirmed last night while on XJbikes.com

i can remove the bottom case without removing the cylinders!

yay!

Would you happen to have that link or thread? I could really benefit from your research. My XJ550 was given to me by a very good friend and I restored it (mechanically). The bike runs great but it was laid over and helicoiled to fix any cracks/leaks. It is on the bottom and it is hard to see. It is not a big deal - I am just a mechanic who is to perfectionate with my own stuff. Thanks, in advance, you any help.

Cheers,

Mike

PS: Here is a pic - the messed-up side is on the other

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/32001326/aview/Maxim.JPG

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online