XS400 Blinker Issue

mudcedes2k
This post is 5992 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Yes I did search, just didn't find the correct answer.

I have a 1982 XS400 Maxim with a turnsignal issue. The lights come on but don't flash, yes both front and rear will come on for which ever side I am trying to use. They are a normal brightness when on, just no flash. I already replaced the flasher relay thingy and it did not change a thing. I checked in the headlight housing for any disconnected wires and found 2 things:

One is a green wire with a yellow stripe that was not hooked up, this wire goes back to the flasher hookup on the other end. I cannot see any place for the disconnected end to go, possible it is there for an emergency flasher (both lights) option or something? I don't know. Because it goes back to the flasher and is not hooked up, I am assuming this is my problem. I have tried to look at a wiring diagram but it is very blurry and from what I can make out it only shows 3 wires coming off the flasher relay. Maybe those are the 3 that are hooked up and it just leaves my mystery wire off because it's worthless???

The other thing in the headlight housing was I think a brown wire, it goes into a connector which is for 1 wire in and 2 wires out. One of the connection spots for the second wire out is open. Both of these items listed are the female connector so they cannot go together.

The brake light works fine, it does not change at all when I try to use a blinker. The rear signals were changed out for some LED trailer markers, but I think they are fine. Is it possible to wire something backwards to where it will get the voltage to light it up but send it a wrong path so it won't flash? I haven't tried the wires in multiple configurations but I believe them to be correct as they are.

I got the bike 6 months ago and I am just now getting it on the street, I will take the signals off to get through inspection but people around here ignore hand signals so I would like to put them back on. It's my first motorcycle so I am a total newb.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yes I did search, just didn't find the correct answer.

I have a 1982 XS400 Maxim with a turnsignal issue. The lights come on but don't flash, yes both front and rear will come on for which ever side I am trying to use. They are a normal brightness when on, just no flash. I already replaced the flasher relay thingy and it did not change a thing. I checked in the headlight housing for any disconnected wires and found 2 things:

One is a green wire with a yellow stripe that was not hooked up, this wire goes back to the flasher hookup on the other end. I cannot see any place for the disconnected end to go, possible it is there for an emergency flasher (both lights) option or something? I don't know. Because it goes back to the flasher and is not hooked up, I am assuming this is my problem. I have tried to look at a wiring diagram but it is very blurry and from what I can make out it only shows 3 wires coming off the flasher relay. Maybe those are the 3 that are hooked up and it just leaves my mystery wire off because it's worthless???

The other thing in the headlight housing was I think a brown wire, it goes into a connector which is for 1 wire in and 2 wires out. One of the connection spots for the second wire out is open. Both of these items listed are the female connector so they cannot go together.

The brake light works fine, it does not change at all when I try to use a blinker. The rear signals were changed out for some LED trailer markers, but I think they are fine. Is it possible to wire something backwards to where it will get the voltage to light it up but send it a wrong path so it won't flash? I haven't tried the wires in multiple configurations but I believe them to be correct as they are.

I got the bike 6 months ago and I am just now getting it on the street, I will take the signals off to get through inspection but people around here ignore hand signals so I would like to put them back on. It's my first motorcycle so I am a total newb.

Hi there,

check the wattage of the bulbs that are fitted in your blinkers to make sure that they are correct and also your led markers? because if the resistance is too high eg your bulbs are ment to be 12 V -5w and they are 12V-10W then you will have too much resistance in the circuit and this will stop them from flashing !

Hi there,

check the wattage of the bulbs that are fitted in your blinkers to make sure that they are correct and also your led markers? because if the resistance is too high eg your bulbs are ment to be 12 V -5w and they are 12V-10W then you will have too much resistance in the circuit and this will stop them from flashing !

Well, I got to taking off the signals today and while doing so I tested one of the front ones in the back and left the other front one up front (both on the same side) and it flashes. Switched them both to the other side and it works too. So it looks like you were right. I tried a few ways to bypass the rear and nothing worked. I don't too much care about the signals in the rear, but I want them up front. Now I have to find a resistor or some way to bypass the rear so the front will flash. The LEDs that were on the rear were just trailer side markers, pretty low profile; I don't want to put the old lights back on that stick out several inches.

Thanks.