valve clearence

Guest r6dubzy1981
This post is 5910 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guest r6dubzy1981

hi ive been told that my valves may need to be cleared what does this do for the bike also

how can you tell when they need to be done

cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Should be checked at 28,000 according to haynes manual but seems the services on later r6 were 6,000 that means it should be done at either 24,000 or 3,000 ... I'd go for 24,000.

What your checking for is the gap between valves and cam lobes.

You're not forced to know they need doing but if the valves sound rattly then valve clearances could be the problem.

On an R6 though there is a rattley noise from the top right of the engine that has nothing to do with Valve clearances and some people do mistake the noise.

Guest r6dubzy1981

Should be checked at 28,000 according to haynes manual but seems the services on later r6 were 6,000 that means it should be done at either 24,000 or 3,000 ... I'd go for 24,000.

What your checking for is the gap between valves and cam lobes.

You're not forced to know they need doing but if the valves sound rattly then valve clearances could be the problem.

On an R6 though there is a rattley noise from the top right of the engine that has nothing to do with Valve clearances and some people do mistake the noise.

It's a ticking noise you'll hear it when sat normal on the bike and it's on tickover. If it's ticking or rattling either loudly or like hell when revved it probably isn't the same noise.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online