Virago 250

AlanM
This post is 5861 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I am about to buy my first bike and haven't got much experience with bikes - so far have used scooters on an odd occassion. I guess when one turnes 40 some marbles get lost - or found :-)

All my mates say I should buy something up to 250 ccm, and hope not to end up under some truck. Also, they say if I buy small bike with something like 150 ccm I'll get bored in a space of a week and long for something bigger.

Since I prefere custom and choppers I thought about Virago 250 and managed to find one locally ( Croatia ) for some 2000 euros. It's a bit old - '93., and it's got 40000 km on the clock ( some 25000 miles ).

It's not too heavy and it's easy to handle - so they say.

What do you think ?

Is it a good choice as a first bike ?

I'd use it on a everyday basis to get to work, but also for shorter trips to see mates every now and then - let's say some 500 km per trip.

Also, what about parts, are they difficult to find these days ?

Regards,

Alan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Try and find a 535, if you have them out your way. They have been going for ages and parts are abundant. as are aftermarket goodies.

Much more use to you over the kind of distances you seem to need to cover, will be less stressed and cost hardly any extra to run.

Try and get a ride on one of each and you will see what I mean.......It`s what I would go for, given the choice.

Good luck with whatever you choose, If it has got tuning forks on the tank, you wont go far wrong!!

Try and find a 535, if you have them out your way. They have been going for ages and parts are abundant. as are aftermarket goodies.

Much more use to you over the kind of distances you seem to need to cover, will be less stressed and cost hardly any extra to run.

Try and get a ride on one of each and you will see what I mean.......It`s what I would go for, given the choice.

Good luck with whatever you choose, If it has got tuning forks on the tank, you wont go far wrong!!

Thanks for advice. . .

535 is a great bike, but since I'm really just starting with bikes I'll go for 250 - and hope not to fall off :-)

will let you know what I got in the end. . .

Thanks for advice. . .

535 is a great bike, but since I'm really just starting with bikes I'll go for 250 - and hope not to fall off :-)

will let you know what I got in the end. . .

Hi I know you are just starting out so to be honest it doesnt really matter what you start on as it is more than likely you will fall off any size of bike (statisticly new riders crash within the 1st 6months of riding)

if you are looking at the virago/dragster 250 then you could head to spain where Yamaha still make them, hope that helps you with your new choice also ride safe.

Hi I know you are just starting out so to be honest it doesnt really matter what you start on as it is more than likely you will fall off any size of bike (statisticly new riders crash within the 1st 6months of riding)

if you are looking at the virago/dragster 250 then you could head to spain where Yamaha still make them, hope that helps you with your new choice also ride safe.

Whowww, they still make them. . . I have a mate in Valencia, will ask him about his local dealers.

You're right, all my mates that ride bikes have had some kind of an accident, one way or another. . . just one says he's never came off a bike. . . but he's not to be trusted :-)

I think it was fear off falling off that kept me away from the bikes all these years, but it comes the time when you say fuck it and finally have a go. . .

thanks for advice :-)