ultrasonic cleaners

Guest grisler54
This post is 5820 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I don't get it, 5000 degrees c? how does that not melt whatever you put in it; the cleaner itself; your workbench; you; your workshop??

Buy hey, i'm no physicist so i probably shouldn't ask as I won't understand the answer lol D'uh :blink:

Are these the things they have at the dentist to put all there tools in to clean them? They must work if they are, but then again grimey engine grease is prob a little more stuburn than plaque & tartar. Anyway i'll shut up now cos I dunno what i'm talking about :rolleyes:

I need to clean my carbs out again and Harbor Freight (cheap parts store) sells a few different ultrasonic cleaners and I've heard good things about using them to clean carbs. The only part I'm foggy about is exactly what people use with the ultrasonic cleaner, most people say they use plain water, some people say they put in some stuff along with the water. The good plus about ultrasonic cleaners is that you can practically put the whole carb in as opposed to taking it apart (altho I'd take most of it apart just to make sure it cleans the whole thing.)

One common warning I've seen, don't use it in the house. Stinks up the place to high heaven apparently. One plus about ultrasonic cleaner is that it doesn't damage plastics and rubbers like carb cleaner chemicals do. And the other plus is that it doesn't involve chemicals.

If some of you experienced laddies that've used ultrasonic cleaners could chime in about what you use with the ultrasonic cleaner, that'd be cool.

I have a heater ultrasonic cleaner that works very well. They are expensive for this type though. It gets hot enough to steam and I think if I left the heater on long enough it would boil. The ultrasonic actually heats up the fluid too but takes longer to make any real temperature.

I use a solution of carb cleaners which really help remove the gunk and grime. I still have to remove the carbs and parts and immedately spray them with carb cleaner followed by brake cleaner then compressed air to clear the passages and verify they are working.

I have not tried straight water yet though it may work.

Sean Morley

I probably shouldn't be saying this, since it is part of our patented cleaning process, but the company I work for uses ultrasonic systems in the tissue sterilization process. It doesn't necessarily use heat, but ultrasonic shock waves to "shake and force" particles out and off of the object at high pressure to clean it. It literally boils chemicals at room temperature. The friction produced will create some heat, but shouldn't be much. Hence the ability to use it on rubber and plastic parts. Autoclaves use high temp/pressure to clean dental and surgical tools. Way too hot for anything other than metals and high-temp plastics. I would probably get an ultrasonic cleaner if I had a garage.

The tank I have was being used to clean surgical equipment. I was lucky enough to score it from a bowling friend. I am now trying to get him to get me one of the surgical camera's they used to snake into your body. Will be great to snake into an engine to inspect the internals.

Sean

The tank I have was being used to clean surgical equipment. I was lucky enough to score it from a bowling friend. I am now trying to get him to get me one of the surgical camera's they used to snake into your body. Will be great to snake into an engine to inspect the internals.

Sean

Dont forget to switch the engine off, first. :D:D

Sean

An endoscope? :huh: Those aren't cheap, and they won't fit through many spots in your engine. Good luck with that one.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got an interesting question for you fellers: I've just bought an ultrasonic cleaner that I thought would be big enough to put the carbs in and turns out that it'll only take 3/4 of the carb. I was wondering if I could just ultrasonically clean 3/4 of the carb then turn it around and then clean the other side that wasn't in the water? Would that damage anything or do anything bad?

I tested out the ultrasonic cleaner on the fuel bowls and wow, it sure cleaned those bowls out really well with just tap water!

If you guys say it'll be ok to have some of the carbs sticking out above the water then I'm keen to take a shot at it and see how well it cleans the rest of the carbs.

I've got an interesting question for you fellers: I've just bought an ultrasonic cleaner that I thought would be big enough to put the carbs in and turns out that it'll only take 3/4 of the carb. I was wondering if I could just ultrasonically clean 3/4 of the carb then turn it around and then clean the other side that wasn't in the water? Would that damage anything or do anything bad?

I tested out the ultrasonic cleaner on the fuel bowls and wow, it sure cleaned those bowls out really well with just tap water!

If you guys say it'll be ok to have some of the carbs sticking out above the water then I'm keen to take a shot at it and see how well it cleans the rest of the carbs.

I got one from Aldi in uk and they say in the instructions you can part submerge them and just turn over for the other side

I got one from Aldi in uk and they say in the instructions you can part submerge them and just turn over for the other side

Have you used it Drewpy, I wanted one of those but missed out, will have to wait till they come around again :(

Have you used it Drewpy, I wanted one of those but missed out, will have to wait till they come around again :(

I will be soon, nearly finished the dohc carbs for my sohc engine

I am trying plain tap water on this current set of carbs. It's been in overnight this time since it wasn't ready in the three hours I was at the shop yesterday. I have also heard that good results can be had by putting the carbs in an old pan or pot and boiling it in distilled water on the grill then using a dental waterpick to clean the orifices out with.

Sean

I am trying plain tap water on this current set of carbs. It's been in overnight this time since it wasn't ready in the three hours I was at the shop yesterday. I have also heard that good results can be had by putting the carbs in an old pan or pot and boiling it in distilled water on the grill then using a dental waterpick to clean the orifices out with.

Sean

Update - I wasn't using tap water (sorry - was using distilled). It worked ok for the rubber based parts like the slides and small stuff and only marginally worked on the rest of the stuff. Swapped out the water for my cleaner and what a difference. I had left the cleaner on all night and it only took 30 minutes for the HD cleaner solution to work!

Sean

Update- Well, as one2dmax said above, don't use tap water! :) It leaves a mineral residue, or it's just that my tap water sucks around here I suppose. He's also right about the water cleaning the parts, takes bloody forever, it'll clean the big open spots pretty quickly but not the smaller parts like the jets. I'm going to try to put in (somebody recommedended?) the green cleaner fluid since it's biodegradable and supposedly safe for plastic parts?

Amazing that a search for ultrasonic cleaner will bring up tons of ultrasonic cleaners but fluids for the cleaner doesn't bring up that much!

At least I'm having fun cleaning the carbs. Who says new toys aren't fun? :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online