My R6 new chain.

TazR6
This post is 6002 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My Chain was FUBAR, and following a suggestion from here, I bought a Tsubaki XRing Sigma chain. Having done s ome research, its, its meant to be the one to beat. I have no experience with XRing chains at all.

I fitted it yesterday, and the difference was immediatley apparant as the wheel rotated smotthly and for much longer then the old chain allowed.

Riding it however, I had an "Oh Shit" moment. The nosie it makes is unnerving. Its sounds like a knackered old grea box. It whines under any load at all.

Is that normal for XRing chains or is there a problem? I replaced both sprockets too by the way.

Thank you in advance for you help.

Neil

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I know this is an obvious one, but did you lube it? and are you running enough slack?

With the bike on a paddock stand you will need at least 25/30mm slack at the mid point of the lower run.

Did you buy them all as a kit, or as individual items? Are you sure they are all the same pitch and width?

Depending on the year of your bike the standard chain / sprocket / sizes are;

1999 / 2003: 532 16f 48r

2003 / 2005: 532 16f 48r

2006 / 2008: 525 16f 45r You must make sure all the bits you fit are of the same size.

It is common to convert bikes to different chain sizes (usually for racing) so kits / parts are available for bikes like the R6 in 520 and 530 sizes aswell as the standard ones.

It was all bought as a kit. The pitch is 520. It had a good coat of wax before installation.

Tension is spot on.

There are a few mentions from a search in Google on XRing chain whine, so I assume its a normal trait of the type of cahin. its likened to Supercharger whine.

I have the standard 48r 16f config, with the standard 116 links. All that differs is the pitch.

All seems ok then.

If you have a 520 conversion the PITCH is the same, at 5/8 inch (still 116 links) it is the WIDTH that you have changed. Now 1/4 inch.

The narrower the chain the less rolling resistance, as the rollers are narrower, and less weight being flung about, but the greater the wear as each roller a bot narrower has less surface to act on. Same with the teeth on the sprockets, as they are too, slightly narrower.

To change the PITCH you would need to go DOWN a size 420 etc which is 1/2 inch pitch (more links for the same length of chain)

Or UP a size Eg 620 = 3/4 inch, which means as each link is bigger, you need LESS links.

The matching sprockets would have MORE TEETH, 420 or LESS TEETH 620 to retain the original gearing. :)

You will robably find the Whine will lessen with age and mileage, till then keep earing the ear plugs!

Typo. Its 530 I have, not 520 lol.

Thank you very much for the informative post. I love reading up on stuf flike this, and its nice to have access to a Forum such as this, which has intelligent people who are passionate about all things Motorcycle (except maybe Harleys lol) and are willing to share that knowledge and experience.

it is much appreciated and much welcomed.

Thanks again.

Neil

That`s ok NEIL,

Knowledge is of little use unless you pass it on, (lessons are extra :D )

What does it sound like with a few miles on the clock? I`ve got a "Chewbka" chain on the fireblade and can`t say i`ve ever really heard it. Mind you I am running a Scotoiler on that bike, so maybe that keeps it quiet.

Amate of mine had a really noisy chain on his GSXR, turned out to be wheel alignment up the spout. we lazer`ed it and was a lot better afterwards.

Are you absolutely sure you have the back wheel in straight, (don`t rely too much on the swingarm marks) and both sprockets facing the right way out.

Cheers and good luck...Dave.R.

GSXR, turned out to be wheel alignment up the spout. we lazer`ed it and was a lot better afterwards.

Hi Dave,

Do I need special lazer equipment to check the alignment? or can I use anything, on TDM

Thanks , Rick

:huh:

Bizarrley enough, I just changed the chain and sprockets on my 04 R6 at the weekend (D.I.D x ring), did the usual 530 conversion (532 being standard), it's the 4th x-ring chain I've fitted to this bike and it also whines like the gearbox is knackered, even went to the shop tonight where I got all the stuff from to make sure they'd supplied me with all 530 and not stuck a 532 sprocket in there by mistake. (none of the other chains on this bike or previous have whine'd like this) Took it wheel out again tonight to make sure everything is spot on and took front sprocket cover off to make sure all was good behind there as well and it is. I'll just have to see if it quitens down eventually. But my god is it doing my head in!

Hi Dave,

Do I need special lazer equipment to check the alignment? or can I use anything, on TDM

Thanks , Rick

:huh:

You don`t need anything more special on a TDM than any other bike, but it does take practice and a keen eye.

Two long dead straight planks or metal bars will do and a couple of blocks of wood (2x4 or similar) to rest the long bars on.

With the bike upright ( on a paddock stand or someone standing astride it) and the bars dead straight, place a block of wood 2x4 or similar behind and across the back wheel and one in front of the front wheel, sideways to set the long planks onto.

Align a plank running up each side of the bike, on top of the blocks, with the edges touching the front lower and rear lower portion of the back tyre, so they are parallel with each other. With the bars dead straight, the distance from the front tyre to the plank should be the same at all four points where it passes the the rear and front lower curve of the front tyre.

:huh: Hmmmmmm.......It made sense while I was writing it, but I have a picture in my mind of what it should all look like :mellow:

I hope it makes sense, Good luck.

It has quietened down to a barely audible noise now.

It sounded like a really loud supercharger. On over run etc, there was no noise at all. The tiniest amount of right hand input had it whining away.

Im assured its fine, so fine it is lol.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online