XT550J - Oil all over generator..

Guest wiiox
This post is 5989 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guest wiiox

So the bike is a non-starter. There was an oil leak along the seam of the crankcase on the generator side. I pulled off the generator, and the gasket is all messed, and there is oil all inside the generator. I mean its covering the magnets and all of the copper, pooling at the bottom.

So I'm wondering how big of a problem this is. I figure the oil isn't supposed to be there (haha) even though there is slots from the generator directly into the crankcase.

How extensive of a cleanup would this be. Do I need a new generator? Can I just get a solvent to remove the oil?

I'm looking for a solution, and any comments are appreciated! Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Its possible that you have excessive crankcase pressure, thats forced the oil in to the generator. There could be a number of causes for this but the most common is broken piston rings/ damaged piston.

Do a compression check this should rule this in/out.

Adam.

So the bike is a non-starter. There was an oil leak along the seam of the crankcase on the generator side. I pulled off the generator, and the gasket is all messed, and there is oil all inside the generator. I mean its covering the magnets and all of the copper, pooling at the bottom.

So I'm wondering how big of a problem this is. I figure the oil isn't supposed to be there (haha) even though there is slots from the generator directly into the crankcase.

How extensive of a cleanup would this be. Do I need a new generator? Can I just get a solvent to remove the oil?

I'm looking for a solution, and any comments are appreciated! Thanks.

DON'T use a solvent. I'm unsure what the generator construction is but any solvent can damage insulation on the wires. Best to carefully wipe dry with clean cloths. Cause of leak is another problem! :(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wiiox

DON'T use a solvent. I'm unsure what the generator construction is but any solvent can damage insulation on the wires. Best to carefully wipe dry with clean cloths. Cause of leak is another problem! :(

Sounds good. I guess I figured right that no oil should be there. Thanks for the replies.