Ignition Help

phermes1
This post is 5998 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all,

I just joined this forum and was hoping for a little help. My Beartracker - yes, I have a quad, not a bike, I'm hoping someone will still help :) - was running fine and just stalled on me. It will turn over but will not start, and I'm not getting a spark from the plug. I tested the connections going into the ignition coil and they don't seem to be getting any current. The fuses test out OK, and the relay appears to be working, for as much as I'm able to test it. I've inspected the wiring and connections and it all looks solid.

Has anyone had this happen to their bike/quad and what was the cause? I'm strongly suspecting the CDI. It stopped running out of nowhere, and hasn't even thought about starting since. If it was a bad connection, I wouldn't have expected it to break down so quickly and so absolutely. Any help is appreciate.

Thanks,

Paul

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey all,

I just joined this forum and was hoping for a little help. My Beartracker - yes, I have a quad, not a bike, I'm hoping someone will still help :) - was running fine and just stalled on me. It will turn over but will not start, and I'm not getting a spark from the plug. I tested the connections going into the ignition coil and they don't seem to be getting any current. The fuses test out OK, and the relay appears to be working, for as much as I'm able to test it. I've inspected the wiring and connections and it all looks solid.

Has anyone had this happen to their bike/quad and what was the cause? I'm strongly suspecting the CDI. It stopped running out of nowhere, and hasn't even thought about starting since. If it was a bad connection, I wouldn't have expected it to break down so quickly and so absolutely. Any help is appreciate.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi mate, any sign of life from the battery, lights, horn etc, Is the engine kill switch off, And sorry but have to ask, is there fuel in the tank?

Hi mate, any sign of life from the battery, lights, horn etc, Is the engine kill switch off, And sorry but have to ask, is there fuel in the tank?

Plenty of gas - but it's a good question. :) The lights work. I don't have a horn. The kill switch functions - when it's off, the engine doesn't turn over at all. It'll crank just fine; it just won't spark, much less start.

Plenty of gas - but it's a good question. :) The lights work. I don't have a horn. The kill switch functions - when it's off, the engine doesn't turn over at all. It'll crank just fine; it just won't spark, much less start.

When you say you have no spark I assume you have the plug removed and you are cranking the engine with the ignition on and the plug securely grounded.

Can you get hold of an analog voltmeter? set to 12VDC, Connect the negative lead to battery negative (Or chassis) and connect the positive lead to the coil low tension connector without disconnecting the wire from it, when you crank the engine I think you should see the pointer of the meter 'pulsing'although I must add here that I'm not an expert.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online