xs 650 front brake

newboybuilder
This post is 6000 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, I have purchased a left hand side caliper for my xs650 SG (1980). The caliper does not fit for some reason. The caliper is tight on the disk. Anyone tried to fit one? Have any problems? It looks like I would need to take about 3mm off the hub or the caliper to make it fit.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all, I have purchased a left hand side caliper for my xs650 SG (1980). The caliper does not fit for some reason. The caliper is tight on the disk. Anyone tried to fit one? Have any problems? It looks like I would need to take about 3mm off the hub or the caliper to make it fit.

not familiar with european xs's models, is it cast wheel or spoke, if spoke is it aluminum or chrome? try to loosen the axle then check fit, then tighten, see if you need a shim on axle or shim on caliper, I put them on my 78 cast wheel and on a 76 im working on now with spokes, the spoke wheel I had to use xs 11 rotors which had a smaller dish.

and OH man wait till you bleed em , there a buger to bleed! .

Resizeof2006-04-22012.jpg

xswheels011.jpg

when I changed to twin disks on my 400 the cast wheels where fine, but when i had spokes put on I had to shave a few mill off the caliper mount.

when I changed to twin disks on my 400 the cast wheels where fine, but when i had spokes put on I had to shave a few mill off the caliper mount.

I have the cast wheels so I have the opposite problem. Looks like I will be doing the same and machining a few mm off the caliper mount.

Thankyou gentlemen.

It will take me a week or so to organise the work to the Hub (I do not have a lathe in my shed) so any easier solutions in the mean time would still be welcomed.

Newbuildboy.

I have the cast wheels so I have the opposite problem. Looks like I will be doing the same and machining a few mm off the caliper mount.

Thankyou gentlemen.

It will take me a week or so to organise the work to the Hub (I do not have a lathe in my shed) so any easier solutions in the mean time would still be welcomed.

Newbuildboy.

I used a file and did it by hand,its only alloy and easy to do on the caliper mount. I left the hub alone

I used a file and did it by hand,its only alloy and easy to do on the caliper mount. I left the hub alone

Thanks for the idea but this is the brakes we are talking about here! I think I will stick with the machine shop.

I do not mind getting stuck in with the grinder or recip saw where appropriate but the brakes! are you crazy? This will cost me less than I paid for the caliper and I can ride knowing everything is straight and true. Full contact between the disc and mount, as the manufacturer intended.

Sorry mate but I just can not do it!

hey when you did yours, did you use the 76 rotor? I tried mine with two 76 model rotors and then two 78 rotors then finally the xs 11 rotors which required no shimms. the first two option were way off. Are the 76 rotors the deep dish on the euro models? thanks.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online