Late '70s MX80 identification help?

Fulch13
This post is 5728 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My first bike was a 78-79-80 (not really sure) MX80. recently, I've come across a couple on eBay and have seriiously considered picking one up to restore. But I'm not absolutely sure which year my bike was. I got it when I was 8, so it would have been summer 1979. It could've been a leftover 78, 79 or an early 80. I'm just not sure. I remember it had a square front plate and all white body work. I swear the graphics on the tank were red and black (my older sister had a MX175 at the same time that DID have the red & black graphics, if that helps). I rode that bike for a year or so before getting my first race bike, an '82 YZ80 (the first water-cooled year, with the rad behind the front # plate).

Looking at parts, it seems maybe there were differences between the pre-79 and the 80-up? The couple I've seen on eBay, the '80 has yellow and black graphics on the tank that look stock, but I also saw an '81 online that had also-stock-looking red/black tank graphics.

I'd really like to figure out which one I actually had, if possible. Can anybody help?

• 9 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online