Stuttering, now running rich and stalling

khblue
This post is 5851 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

A bit of a saga so bear with me and if you've any ideas they'd be much appreciated.

Bike was running like a dog so changed plugs (which looked lovely and tan colour) for some unused ones that I'd had for a couple of years but never got used.

Bike continued to run like a dog.

Bought new air filter, old one looked a bit mucky.

Still ran like a dog.

Charged battery but charger implied not taking full charge. Replaced battery. Charger said same thing Grrr.

Still ran like a dog.

Looked at the sparks and particularly on outer two cylinders looked a bit orange.

Measured coil primaries and one just in one just out of range so bought replacement coils and integral leads (pattern parts).

While waiting for coils and time to mend sprayed carb cleaner in air inlets while running and added Redex to tank.

Still ran like a dog and after about ten minutes started to sputter and stall and struggled to start again.

Put new coils and leads on.

Started and ran smooth as silk...for about 15 minutes, then sputtered at low revs and had to use high revs to get going or it'd stall.

After taking the plugs out they are all evenly sooty and so looks like they are running too rich.

My guess is that I've fixed the spark problem but produced a 'too rich mixture' problem.

The thing that's most messing with my head is that ALL FOUR cylinders have the same amount of soot on the plugs, when all four were perfect tan colour before messing with the spark problem.

So, questions :

Why is it only a problem when it gets hot after 15 minutes running ?

Is it possible that the carb cleaner and redex have effected all four carbs evenly, opened up all four needle valves equally and so produced evenly over-rich mixture on all four cylinders ?

Is it sensible to adjust all four fuel/air mixture screws on all four carbs when for the past five years it's been running perfectly and all four cylinders look the same?

Any help through the confusion would be much appreciated.

Ta

Kevin

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hmmm, I'm fairly convinced that I must have nuked some rubber seals in the carbs by sticking Redex in the tank (possibly not mixed well enough and went through a bit neat), Easy Start (when it was struggling to go) and Carb cleaner in the air intakes (just because I thought it might help).

If there are any other ideas that'd be great and I wouldn't feel quite such an idiot.

Ta

The coke on the plugs is probably due to the redex. The engine needs to be run for a while on fresh fuel before you try to fix it.

Hi don't start messing around with settings on your carbs untill you have cleaned them out properly,it sounds like the choke's are sticking thats why it starts from cold ok but as soon as it warms up it wont tick over,

Best thing to do would be to empty the tank and fill with clean fuel,remove the carbs check the chokes and clean out the float bowls.

Then fire it up and take it for a good run and see how it goes,but dont change any of the settings untill you have used a tank full of fuel, by then you should have cleaned out any residue left in the carbs.

From the sound of things it was your coils that were causing the problem in the first place and the other things that you did have only made things worse as it was running fine before?

From the sound of things it was your coils that were causing the problem in the first place and the other things that you did have only made things worse as it was running fine before?

I've come to that conclusion as well. :-(

dont quite know how to break this to you mate but my bike has been doin exactly the same thing for well over a month now and yesterday it went big time, took it to the yam garage where my mate works and the boys were on it for hours and turns out the rings in bore no 2 are f*&ked and now i need to decide on a rebild or a new lump??????

i know it sounds a bit extreme but my bike was doin exactly the same as yours, ive been reading your post to see if any of the above solutions are the problem but although they are all a possibilty im afraid in my case its not to be, my advice to you is not to run it. take it to a yam dealer and pay the money cos its worth it in the long run, im not sure the cause of it,it could be one of the above, but i will say if your not 100% leave it in the hands of a trusted expert. my bike is a 02 reg r6 and it was very well looked after its just one of those things that go wrong from time to time.

i really hope you dont have the same problem as me i really do. i am now gutted.

if anyone out there knows of a good engine goin cheap that will fit my bike please let me know.

good luck.

Nice thought but a shop would want about 4-5 hours labour plus parts. Well over £100 and the bike just isn't worth that kind of outlay. So I'll give it a bash myself and see how I go. If it all goes pear shaped the wifell just have to buy me a nice zzr1000 to keep me happy ;-)

Sorry to hear your strife, hope you find an engine.

I'd drain the fuel out, put in the best octane in and then thrash the bugger. running an engine for 15mins will only coat the engine in crap, especially if not under load.

riding like you stole it, is sometimes the best way to maintain an engine as full bore is the most efficient for an engine.

I do this with my bike and car and you can see the crap burning out the back.

just my 2p worth

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online