Engine Noise

Lion-O
This post is 5893 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

just bought a thundercat and i been riding it for a week sounds lovely!!!

today i put oil in her cos she was low and carried on riding i been giveing her some welly

and i changed between first and second but hit neutral but it made an odd noise and now the engine clicks

when idle and clicks faster as you rev her i was doing about 50 when i changed....

can anyone help me on what it might be as this is my first bike and im new to riding....

chrs

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You most likely over reved the engine when you missed second gear and done a bit of damage inside. Best take it to a motorcycle mechanic to diagnose the fault.

One other thing, what grade of oil did you top up with, might not be the right stuff for your bike.

I used Castrol T4 10/40 its something like that i went to halfords and the have a book off bikes and what oil is used for what so you know what you are buying.

the clicking noise hasnt stoped the bike from handling or running smoothly it just doesnt sound right...

is it a click or a rattle?? if its a clicking noise then you possibly have bent a selector fork in the gear box which is now holding two gears close to each other making them click together as they go around, does the noise go away when riding and not in neutral?? does it change gear smoothly?? hope fully you have not damaged your g box cause its a full engine strip on those the remove gears , shop will charge you around 16 hrs labour plus parts......

Mine is doing the same!!! Although mine was standing in a garage for about 8 months and went started after that there was the same kind of rattle you are describing.

The only way I can explain it is it sounds like one of those old wooden football rattles that you spin round, but not so loud. The rattles are about a second apart on idle but speed up as the revs increase.

Again there is no affect on ride etc, but i think the gear change has always been slightly on the rough side, it has 37k on the clock!

• 3 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online