XS400 missfire

redd
This post is 6004 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Old saying dont fix if not f*****

messing around improving the wires on the points, now since the repairs and fitting back in cannot get the bike to run

proply and keeps missfiring. somtimes fires on both, hey presto the bike runs sweet on both pots. Then just as

quick it will go back down to one pot...

Is it bad earth?

Knackered points? They look ok.

ive never really had anything to do with points, last time was a mini 20 year ago and that was agg. Been told to convert to electronic. Has anyone got electronic 4 sale.

Or new set of points cure my headache...

DSC00196.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Old saying dont fix if not f*****

messing around improving the wires on the points, now since the repairs and fitting back in cannot get the bike to run

proply and keeps missfiring. somtimes fires on both, hey presto the bike runs sweet on both pots. Then just as

quick it will go back down to one pot...

Is it bad earth?

Knackered points? They look ok.

ive never really had anything to do with points, last time was a mini 20 year ago and that was agg. Been told to convert to electronic. Has anyone got electronic 4 sale.

Or new set of points cure my headache...

wow, sweet ride B)

points are reliable if you keep up maintenance. I have fitted a contact assisted ignition which means that all the contacts do is trigger the electronics. PM me and when I'm back home I'll get out the address if you want!

it does sound like the points are grounding out somewhere, are you sure that all the insulating washers are in place and in the right order?

If unknown I would get new as they pitt after time and give false readings. the best way to time them is to use a dwell meter (105' off the top of my head). then i would strobe the timing off the crank.

when the bike is running and the points cover is off, can you see any flashing? this means your condensor has failed and will also cause a misfire.

contactless ignition is made by newtronic who went bust a few years ago. they were bought out but nothing seems to be happening at the mo'.

nice 1

i have ordered some new points should be here this week. i bought the bike as project been stood along time. didnt quite fancy the colour (YELLOW :blink: ) and style. I stripped and rebuilt and gave it the bobber look. The wiring has been chopped to give minimilist look no switch gear etc. so just been takin a wee bit getting to no the setup <_< checking coils and everthing seems ok, charged battery and will put new points on, get the carbs balanced and double check wiring... i update as soon as its fixed :D

cheers

cheers for that...

Got the bike running now and went for 100ml run and everthing seemed ok. exept the poppin and banging when you shut throttle off. gettin the carbs balanced at the weekend see if this helps matters out.

cheers for that...

Got the bike running now and went for 100ml run and everthing seemed ok. exept the poppin and banging when you shut throttle off. gettin the carbs balanced at the weekend see if this helps matters out.

mine always pops a little on over run, so don't worry too much about it!!

got everything balanced still missis on tickover so going to re-new the condensor see if this helps out.

checked the genorator timing, took cover of and oil came out, and wen u tip the bike on its side oil comes out the hole at the bottom.

m8 rekons crank seal is bust :blink: and need to strip the motor down. hope not! any ideas if this is supposed to happen :huh:

got everything balanced still missis on tickover so going to re-new the condensor see if this helps out.

checked the genorator timing, took cover of and oil came out, and wen u tip the bike on its side oil comes out the hole at the bottom.

m8 rekons crank seal is bust :blink: and need to strip the motor down. hope not! any ideas if this is supposed to happen :huh:

mine does that and I totally rebuilt the motor. thats why there is a cover there.

A tiny little bit will come out when on main stand, but will piss out on side stand.

to check if condensor has gone, open up the points cover and if the points are sparking, then your condensors knackered or not earthing properly.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online