rust romoval

wainers121
This post is 5941 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone!

I'm a new member and a little unsure of what's what. I have a Dragstar 1100.

Can you please advise me on the best way and what to use to get rid of the rust around the spokes. What's best for the general day to day cleaning and protection of my bike.

There is a slight bronzing on the front end of the exhaust can this be remove/ why is it caused.?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello everyone!

I'm a new member and a little unsure of what's what. I have a Dragstar 1100.

Can you please advise me on the best way and what to use to get rid of the rust around the spokes. What's best for the general day to day cleaning and protection of my bike.

There is a slight bronzing on the front end of the exhaust can this be remove/ why is it caused.?

Hi mate, Personally I think that once your spokes are rusty theres nowt you can do, dont try rubbing them with anything abrasive they will just get worse in future. I would just wipe them down with WD40 regularly to stop the problem getting worse. If they are spoiling the look of the bike why not have them re-built with stainless spokes, funds permitting of course Wd40 is an excellent product to wipe down your chromed and plated parts of your bike, but keep it away from brake disk (Stating the obvious)

I thought as much... maybe I was hoping theat there was some miracle removal. Is there any where you recomend to recrome the wheels?

Its usually quite difficult to get them re chromed because I think they have to get all the old chrome off first, but check to confirm this. Other options are

Rebuild with new rims and spokes (Expensive)

Buy secondhand wheels, Try Ebay for a while, but If you find some be sure to get an accurate description of condition, cause they're going to cost a lot to send unless you can collect

Get yourself a classic mechanics magazine, theres all kinds of services in them

Very cheap option If your wheels are really that bad, I personally have used Jenolite rust remover in the past Its an acid based product, looks like snot (make sure its not a rust converter), and then revert to the WD40 to keep new rust at bay, It all depends on how good a finish you want and how deep your wallet Is

try Marque Restore chrome plating Ltd near Coventry. Their website address is www.marquerestore.co.uk. they cost around £55.00 + vat per wheel rim and then you will need to find someone to rebuild your wheels. this time of the year they are mega busy so i would look at doing this in the winter so you dont loose any riding time.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online