Points cover

k91
This post is 6031 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I think I figured out why my bike was running ok then not running at all. The left side is loosing spark. I tried to pull the points cover but the rear screw has some kind of plug in it? This is on a 1980 XS400. My other bike a 1979 has a screw in each hole. I tried picking around it to pop it out but it doesn't move. Its not rubber either. I guess I could try drilling a small hole and getting a screw in it to pop it out. Any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nevermind I'm a dumba$$ ... figured it out a couple minutes later. 1980 has no points :D But I tested the coil and the secondary winding failed the test. So now I have to find a coil.

Nevermind I'm a dumba$$ ... figured it out a couple minutes later. 1980 has no points :D But I tested the coil and the secondary winding failed the test. So now I have to find a coil.

You can get coils from quite a few places.

partsnmore.com

oldbikebarn.com

mikesxs.com

ebay

I am sure there are others.

And ya, the 80 has a transistorized trigger. That thing is a "blind plug" and in the guide drewpy posted it tells you how to drill it out. They are not really supposed to break (the pickup coil), so there shouldn't be much a need to take it off (you'll probably have to take it off to take the cylinder head off for a gasket or valve seal before you need to look at the pickup coil)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online