Helping a friend

death star
This post is 6027 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks, trying to help a friend out here. He has a 98 Royal Star that was running fine before winter storage. Now it will only click when engaging the starter but will not turn over. He also says he has no lights ( I assume he means no lights at all, headlamp, tail and warning lites. I neglected to ask.) He says battery is fully charged and has check his grounds and wiring. Since the bike is 100 miles from me I have not yet been able to scope it out myself. I told him it still sounds like a ground issue if he is positive the battery is ok. Are there any relays or solenoids in the system that could go tits up or does it sound like I'm on the right track? Anyone with knowledge of this electrical system please speak up and I will be eternally grateful. Thanx for any responses, Death Star :huh:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I know this possibly isnt related, but my old car was showing that the battery was fully charged, but it wouldnt turn over, but the lights still worked etc. I took the battery down to a garage down the hill, who tested its productivity, it was as charged as it could be, but was only registering 60 % of what it should have been. So maybe get the battery checked over in case its old, and needs replacing. Specially if it started doing this after our cold stint.

Hi folks, trying to help a friend out here. He has a 98 Royal Star that was running fine before winter storage. Now it will only click when engaging the starter but will not turn over. He also says he has no lights ( I assume he means no lights at all, headlamp, tail and warning lites. I neglected to ask.) He says battery is fully charged and has check his grounds and wiring. Since the bike is 100 miles from me I have not yet been able to scope it out myself. I told him it still sounds like a ground issue if he is positive the battery is ok. Are there any relays or solenoids in the system that could go tits up or does it sound like I'm on the right track? Anyone with knowledge of this electrical system please speak up and I will be eternally grateful. Thanx for any responses, Death Star :huh:

Good point. has he connected it round the right way?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online