Problems Cold Starting V Star Classic

geekgirl
This post is 6030 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 2004 V-Star Classic 650 bought new in June 2004. It only has 1650 miles on it because it sat for over a year in storage. I had to have the tank and carbs cleaned because they were gummed up and the bike would not start - all due to not stabilizing the fuel before storage (boy, did I learn a lesson). Well, after having the tank and carbs cleaned, it now takes almost 15 minutes for the bike to warm up enough so that I can push the choke all the way in and ride it without it bucking. Even with the choke all the way out when I first start it, it doesn't seem to idle as high as it did before storage. I didn't have this problem before storing it at all - full choke for 15 - 30 seconds at most. I called the dealership that performed the work and they told me "Yeah, Yamahas are known to act like that - that's just the way they are." and another dealership told me that I need to have the carbs cleaned again. Doesn't sound right to me because after warming up, it runs like a champ and I don't have any problems startin it warm, but, I could be off. Any thoughts?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a 2003 model and mine dont like starting at all. Ive adjusted the choke so it ticks over that little bit quicker, but she's still awkward once she's cooled down again. I think it is just one of those things, but 15 minutes does sound a loooong time to warm up - mine takes about 5 minutes or so - sometimes longer if its REALLY cold.

Take it out for a really good, long blatt, blow off some of them cobwebs and see how she behaves afterwards. :D

I have tried that, but this is an ongoing problem. I can't even get it to stay running when I first start it unless I open the throttle a little bit, otherwise it will die out. :)

It sounds like you did not get what you paid for and that the carbs probably need a good soaking. If you want to try something I would suggest getting a can of Berrymans B12 or Seafoam and running through a tank of gas.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online