Vstar 650 has no power at 55 mph

The Hammer
This post is 5871 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I'm a new owner of a 2004 V Star 650. The bike has about 150 miles on it and i have noticed that at 55 mph no matter how much throttle i give it it just won't go any faster. I have tried this in 4th and 5th gear and it is exactly the same. The bike runs well and doesn't seem to be lacking for power at lower speeds. Is there some sort of factory speed limiter or something that could be causing this?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The only thing i can think of is that it has a restrictor kit on it which will restrict it to 33bhp - but thats not a lot considering the XVS650 only has about 40bhp anywhooo lol.

If it has one fitted they are easy to remove and are under the carbs.

Im not sure what the law is in the States regarding restrictor kits and if theres any requirement to have one, but it certainly wouldnt have been factory fitted i dont think.

Other than that i dont know, as a restrictor kit is designed to make your motorcycle sluggish and slow which sounds like the problem you have!

Hi,

I'm a new owner of a 2004 V Star 650. The bike has about 150 miles on it and i have noticed that at 55 mph no matter how much throttle i give it it just won't go any faster. I have tried this in 4th and 5th gear and it is exactly the same. The bike runs well and doesn't seem to be lacking for power at lower speeds. Is there some sort of factory speed limiter or something that could be causing this?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Go over to the International V Star Forum and ask on the 650 board, they have tons of info over there at

http://forums.delphiforums.com/star_riders/start

There are NO restrictions on bhp in the United States that I have ever heard of (I've been to most of them). My Honda 250 did the exact same thing a few months after I bought it in '99. It was gunk that clogged the carb. It took about an hour to disassemble it, clean out some sand that was clogging the holes in the brass flow rods and reassemble it again. Until I cleaned it out she wouldn't run past 40. If you roll the throttle all the way back but the revs stay the same, then its most likely the carbs.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online