Shorter Throttle cable/ brake line XS400

pbaszxs400
This post is 5923 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Does anyone have a part number and source to get shorter cables for an 81 xs400 special? I put drag bars on it, and now have way too much brake line (needed replacing anyway) and throttle cable.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Does anyone have a part number and source to get shorter cables for an 81 xs400 special? I put drag bars on it, and now have way too much brake line (needed replacing anyway) and throttle cable.

Thanks

are you UK or USA based?

prob best to use the 360 brake and throttle cable

You can shorten your existing throttle cable yourself, you have nothing to loose. Cut your cable at the carb end so you leave the adjuster alone. Measure the desired length and remove the cable. Put some solder on the exposed cable near the nipple so when you snip it it will not unravel. You can buy replacement nipples or you can try and save yours. Lightly heat the nipple and pull out the old cable. Be careful here, too much heat and the nipple will melt. Another option is to drill out the old cable. With a new fine hacksaw blade cut the outer sheath to the desired length. File the burr. Pull off the metal ferule at the cable end, and reinstall it to your new length. Once again melt solder to the inner cable and snip it at the desired length. Solder the cable to the nipple and you are done. BTW silver solder works best, but I have had success with regular solder, especially on throttle cables which have a lighter pull.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online