SR125 cuts out when put in gear

katie
This post is 6019 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have an sr125 which has been sat in the garage for a while, had trouble starting it at first but then cleaned carburettor and spark plug and then fine. then tried putting it in gear to ride off and it just dies - doesnt jump like when you kick it into gear with no clutch, just quietly cuts out.

yesterday i played around with it for ages and finally got it to start in first with the clutch on, after which there was no problem, i started it in neutral again and had no problems changing BUT today i gave it another go and it kept cutting out again and wont start in first with clutch either. please help, i've tried to work this out and dont seem to be getting anywhere...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

just discovered that there is no spark at spark plug when in first with clutch on, and furthermore there are two relays... all getting into electronics territory which is not something i know much about. anybody who does please help :D

If its like mine it needs the clutch engaged to start and the side stand up to put it in gear, so i would check to see if you have a switch attached to the side stand. If you have it may need cleaning adjusting or replacing or as a lot of people do is disable it.

• 2 weeks later...

you have a clutch swith and a side stand switch , you can by pass theese with a split pin to see which is causing the fault, good luck shout if no joy..

aaah yes, this would make a lot of sense - thanks for help - sadly the thing wont start now, despite strong spark and even after cleaning out tank and carb again. no smell of petrol from exhaust. i think my bike's doing it as punishment for ignoring it for so long.