Help - Idle screws broken off

k91
This post is 6041 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I'm tearing down the carbs on my 79 and I notice the tips of the idle mixture screws stayed in the carb when I removed them. Well that explains why they never made any difference when it was running but now what do I do? I tried pressing on the tips from the inside to push them back out but that didn't help. Any ideas or am I stuck finding another set of carbs? Maybe I could just drill them out but I have no idea what size the hole is in the carb or if I have a bit that small.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Resist the temptation of taking a drill to your carb. The tips are a taper fit and no way could you drill them out without damage. They are stuck in there from corrosion. I would immerse the passage in a solution of acetone and automatic transmission fluid at a 50:50 ratio. Don't let the solution come in contact with anything rubber or the acetone portion will destroy it. The ATF will work its way past the taper end and the acetone thins it out to ease penetration. Let it soak for a few hours and try safely pushing out the stuck pin from the inside. If you have to, let it soak until you are successful.

Thanks XS I'll try that tomorrow. In my haste I tried pushing the tips back up through with a screwdriver but only managed to break them off flush with the carb passage. I'll see what happens.

Thanks XS I'll try that tomorrow. In my haste I tried pushing the tips back up through with a screwdriver but only managed to break them off flush with the carb passage. I'll see what happens.

been there done that!

the only way is to push them out from the top, both mine and my friend carbs did it!

slightly upsets tickover , but not much as new needles will compensate. make sure you don't over tighten them and certainly not without springs fitted.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online