DT125R wont start after running dry.

Kewwy
This post is 6026 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi i recently bought a DT125R and as im not quite 17 yet we took it up to a stretch off private road to have some practice.

It was kicking first time and running perfectly. After about an hour however the bike started to jerk about as i was riding. The only real way i can describe it is the kinda thing that would happen if you pulled the clutch in and out over and over again quickly at high revs.

I stopped, thinking that i must have run out of fuel, but when i shook the bike i could hear plenty. When i looked at the fuel switch i saw i had been running on the reserve (DOH). There was still around half a tank in there, but i topped it up anyway. I left it a few minutes and rocked the bike a little to try to get it running through again.

Heres the problem: When i went to start it up though it wouldnt start. Its as though it wants to start, but it just wont. The engine was still warm, and the tank was full. We tried a LOT of times to "bump it". Each time it tried to start but wouldnt rev. It did fire once or twice on each "bump", but then gave up and died. It must have been kicked almost 500 times over the last few days, and just wont start. After a few kicks we start to see a little smoke and can smell the petrol, but its not firing up. Tried using the choke, tried fiddling with the idle, tried bumping it, checked for air in the fuel line to into the engine, and now im clueless (not that i was ever that clued up).

When the bike has been left there IS a slight smell of petrol around the bike, is it possible that i have flooded the engine? If so what do i need to do to sort it and get it running again?

As i say iv tried all i know (albeit very little), although i havent checked the spark plug, could this be the problem. I doubt it because it was firing perfectly until this happened.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer, and also thanks for taking the time to read all that ^ :lol:

Cheers, Kewwy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi i recently bought a DT125R and as im not quite 17 yet we took it up to a stretch off private road to have some practice.

It was kicking first time and running perfectly. After about an hour however the bike started to jerk about as i was riding. The only real way i can describe it is the kinda thing that would happen if you pulled the clutch in and out over and over again quickly at high revs.

I stopped, thinking that i must have run out of fuel, but when i shook the bike i could hear plenty. When i looked at the fuel switch i saw i had been running on the reserve (DOH). There was still around half a tank in there, but i topped it up anyway. I left it a few minutes and rocked the bike a little to try to get it running through again.

Heres the problem: When i went to start it up though it wouldnt start. Its as though it wants to start, but it just wont. The engine was still warm, and the tank was full. We tried a LOT of times to "bump it". Each time it tried to start but wouldnt rev. It did fire once or twice on each "bump", but then gave up and died. It must have been kicked almost 500 times over the last few days, and just wont start. After a few kicks we start to see a little smoke and can smell the petrol, but its not firing up. Tried using the choke, tried fiddling with the idle, tried bumping it, checked for air in the fuel line to into the engine, and now im clueless (not that i was ever that clued up).

When the bike has been left there IS a slight smell of petrol around the bike, is it possible that i have flooded the engine? If so what do i need to do to sort it and get it running again?

As i say iv tried all i know (albeit very little), although i havent checked the spark plug, could this be the problem. I doubt it because it was firing perfectly until this happened.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer, and also thanks for taking the time to read all that ^ :lol:

Cheers, Kewwy

Sounds like a carb problem - probably some crap in the bottom of the tank has blocked a jet or two - this can happen if you run a bike on reserve - all the rubbish collects in the bottom of the tank. It is worth fitting an 'in-line' filter to help prevent this.

You should dismantle the carb clean out any rubbish you find - blow out the jets etc with compressed air - one of those aerosol cans should do the trick - but don't use wire or anything that would enlarge any of the holes. reassemble and try again.

If you are worried about petrol getting into the engine take out the oil dipstick and check for the smell of petrol - if it does you should drain the oil and replace with fresh oil and a new filter. If there is no petrol in the engine the smell could be caused by a stuck float valve in the carb causing it to overflow.

You should also check for a spark at the plug - remember you need 3 things to get the bike started:

Petrol

Spark

Compression

If you have all three it should run.

Good luck

:rolleyes:

Has the bike been left for a while before using? If so it could be the petrol is off, adding more petrol will not make it any better. If no luck cleaning out the carb, try emptying the tank and carb, and putting fresh petrol in.

Has the bike been left for a while before using? If so it could be the petrol is off, adding more petrol will not make it any better. If no luck cleaning out the carb, try emptying the tank and carb, and putting fresh petrol in.

It had been run by the previous owner almost daily, and was running fine until this happened. Also, the petrol in it when this happened had been bought that day.

Thanks anyway though, it was something i hadnt thought of.

Looking forward to spending sunday cleaning out the carb and spark plug then i guess..

Cheers,

Kewwy

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online