XS360 Repair manual discrepancies

XSwheels
This post is 5958 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have downloaded the XS360 manual on this site and have found a couple of mistakes in it, and now I have some doubts on another issue. Does anyone have a factory manual so I can compare some figures. What I need to know are the resistance test figures for the voltage regulator. I have tested the alternator and field coil, plus the rectifier using the downloaded manual resistance checks, and everything tests proper and makes sense. I just want a second opinion on the voltage regulator.

BTW Drewpy thanks again for posting that manual, what brand name is it?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have downloaded the XS360 manual on this site and have found a couple of mistakes in it, and now I have some doubts on another issue. Does anyone have a factory manual so I can compare some figures. What I need to know are the resistance test figures for the voltage regulator. I have tested the alternator and field coil, plus the rectifier using the downloaded manual resistance checks, and everything tests proper and makes sense. I just want a second opinion on the voltage regulator.

BTW Drewpy thanks again for posting that manual, what brand name is it?

no idea what the manual is, just got it on a cd from ebay, eons ago

on my yam service manual for xs400 ( all voltage regs are the same)

1) ohmmeter (0 - 200 ohms)

one probe to black wire and one to reg base 10.5+/-2ohms @ 20'C

2) one probe to brown wire and other to green wire

140+/- 10ohm @20'C

3) 14.5 - 15 volts DC at 2500 rpm

hope that helps

Thanks for posting those figures Drewpy, they were the same as the other manual. My original regulator failed all the tests. 0 ohms black to reg. base instead of the recommended 10.5 ohms. 0 ohms brown to green wire instead of the recommended 140 ohms. I bought a NOS replacement regulator and guess what, the values are the same as my old one. This is why I was looking for a second opinion on the resistance values. One thing I don't understand is why there should be 10.5 ohms resistance between the black ground wire and the regulator base plate. If you break this part of the regulator down into simple terms, what you have is a piece of steel with a 6" wire attached. Common sense would say the resistance should be 0, (which both of mine are), why is the recommended value 10.5 ohms?

Thanks for posting those figures Drewpy, they were the same as the other manual. My original regulator failed all the tests. 0 ohms black to reg. base instead of the recommended 10.5 ohms. 0 ohms brown to green wire instead of the recommended 140 ohms. I bought a NOS replacement regulator and guess what, the values are the same as my old one. This is why I was looking for a second opinion on the resistance values. One thing I don't understand is why there should be 10.5 ohms resistance between the black ground wire and the regulator base plate. If you break this part of the regulator down into simple terms, what you have is a piece of steel with a 6" wire attached. Common sense would say the resistance should be 0, (which both of mine are), why is the recommended value 10.5 ohms?

have you put the new reg in and seen if the bike has the 14.5 volts across the battery?

I recently replaced my reg (solid-state) which had tested the same as the bad unit. When i replaced it with the NOS, the bike started charging again.

beats me and all, I think I did try to test once, but gave up and used the 14.5 DCV at 2500rpm after checking the stator, field coil and rectifier. really there's nothing else except a broken wire in the loom, but my loom was NOS B)

I am anxious to install the new regulator and see if this solves my no charge condition, but I currently also have my clutch apart and am waiting for parts to arrive. I won't know how this new regulator works until I button the motor back up again. I think I'll go paint my battery box, I could use the serenity.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online