FAZER 1000 Warm Strating Problems

m_tf_m
This post is 6043 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Please help - My 2002 Fazer 1000 has a strange fault I cant figure out –

From cold it starts well on the choke then runs and rides like a dream, but after a good ride when you switch it off, (either immediately when you stop or after letting it run idle for a couple of minutes), it will not start again afterwards.

The battery is good, the starter turns over and over but the engine does not fire up. It will not be bumped at this point either (engine turns but doesnt fire up). After a couple of minutes turning over the starter, a strong petrol smell is there and finally with a massive backfire the engine fires up. Then it will run fine until the next shut off. No power loss during running, this bike is very fast!

I have just changed Air filter and spark plugs (which all spark well) and the old plugs were all identical and in good condition, however this has not solved the problem. The bike has done 18,000 miles so valve clearances not due for a few thousand yet. Choke seems to be working ok as the bar seems to pull and push the small brass pins in and out of the carbs fine.

Has anyone heard of this before or have any ideas??

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds very much that the carbs are getting hot and when shutting down the engine the fuel is vapourising in the carbs causing a lock.

Essentially, keep the carbs cool. Dont let the bike idle before stopping the engine and dont rev it then shut down.

Sounds very much that the carbs are getting hot and when shutting down the engine the fuel is vapourising in the carbs causing a lock.

Essentially, keep the carbs cool. Dont let the bike idle before stopping the engine and dont rev it then shut down.

Thanks yoda, that certainly sounds possible but what could the cause of the carbs overheating be? and what could i look at to try and solve the problem?

The bike is totaly standard set up and no aftermarket cans and no re-jetting to my knowlage although i cant speak for it's history. Ive owned it for a year and to be honest it has done this after the first couple of months of having it. There was a slight concern over the coolant pump when i was buying it, it seemed to be rattling a bit, but problems never materialised with engine overheating. the rattling was put down to the bike being sat for a while and stopped soon after i used it.

Im quite sure The choke mechanism is closing fully , and all the brass pins move in and out the front of the carbs fine, but can the mech inside the carb still be broke or stuck open if those pins move OK on the outside?

I dont think any fuel drips out the overflow pipe, but will check on saturday. And i replaced the air filter last week with standard Yamaha part, this sadly does not solve my problem although the engine breathes noticeably better.

I did notice however when the air filter was out, inside the airbox there was a splatter of petrol behind no 2 carb and a small puddle. also when changing the spark plugs no 2 was slightly wet on the thread. the rest were dry - does this ring any alarm bells ???

Cheers,

Mike.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online