A few sr125 problems please help

jamiehoward430
This post is 5955 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi i have a 1994 sr 125 i bought on ebay made the 60mile journey home with not a problem but over the last few days has all gone wrong.

1. im gettin a horrible screeching noise from the starter motor when i try to start it.

2. im gettin a rattle from the engine sumwhere can hear it more in the higher revs then also on tickover when it is warm, iv checked tappets and are fine.

3. im loosin power occationaly but unlike the other posts mine does it when it feels like it cold hot or whenever sometimes it can go a few days without doing it then no power for a few days.

has anyone got any ideas thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi i have a 1994 sr 125 i bought on ebay made the 60mile journey home with not a problem but over the last few days has all gone wrong.

1. im gettin a horrible screeching noise from the starter motor when i try to start it.

2. im gettin a rattle from the engine sumwhere can hear it more in the higher revs then also on tickover when it is warm, iv checked tappets and are fine.

3. im loosin power occationaly but unlike the other posts mine does it when it feels like it cold hot or whenever sometimes it can go a few days without doing it then no power for a few days.

has anyone got any ideas thanks

I get a screeching noise when I start my bike up!....its usually next door neigbours complaining its 7am sunday morning :blink:

seriously, sounds like the starter gear is starting to wear, you can buy kits from granby's.

there are no tappets in an SR it uses an OHC configeration, is the rattle a tapping noise which rises with the revs? or is it a general clatter (thinking clutch basket!)

losing power could be any thing but I'm inclined to think its a fuel supply problem either tak full of crud and/or carb getting partially blocked every now and then

I get a screeching noise when I start my bike up!....its usually next door neigbours complaining its 7am sunday morning :blink:

seriously, sounds like the starter gear is starting to wear, you can buy kits from dave silvers.

there are no tappets in an SR it uses an OHC configeration, is the rattle a tapping noise which rises with the revs? or is it a general clatter (thinking clutch basket!)

losing power could be any thing but I'm inclined to think its a fuel supply problem either tak full of crud and/or carb getting partially blocked every now and then

hi, i start work at 3am so it wil be the neighbours soon, il wil have to get round tp orderin the kit.

it is a tapping noiese but does not rise or fall with revs just gets louder/quiter, it is loudest when at about half revs.

i have checked all the fuel side of things suggested in another post but is all ok, i didnt tink it was an electical fault as others were saying it only did it when it got warm, mine does it as soon as i leave for and its prety cold at 3am.

any other ideas thanks.

• 2 months later...

bit late in the day to suggest this, but have you whipped the head off to look at the valves? mine was doing pretty much what you are explaining, turned out the cam chain had slackened/skipped, therefor tthe exhaust valve was hitting the piston every rotation. i'd remedy this quickly, otherwise you will lose all compression and it wont go anywhere (leaving you stranded for a while whilst your dad gets a van (speaking from experience here lol))

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

bit late in the day to suggest this, but have you whipped the head off to look at the valves? mine was doing pretty much what you are explaining, turned out the cam chain had slackened/skipped, therefor tthe exhaust valve was hitting the piston every rotation. i'd remedy this quickly, otherwise you will lose all compression and it wont go anywhere (leaving you stranded for a while whilst your dad gets a van (speaking from experience here lol))

Ben

hi i am having same type ov problems i have tried every thing different carb new ht lead and cap and plug coil cdi some days its ok some days it wont i got stuck in the rain to day with it was ok then just basck fired and then cut out and woodnt start for about 20 mins so i am stoke now

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online