FZR Exup RU thou 1991 ( UK Chassis Numbers )

Coffin Dodger
This post is 6062 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks

Not sure if anyone can help me , but i am purchasing an FZR thou Exup RU, 1991 on a J plate subject to her being HPI clear etc.

I have the chassis number etc and just wanted to confirm that it's definitely a uk bike and not an import.

Would anyone know what number and letters etc the uk bikes chassis numbers are so that i can confirm ?

Had a gixxer 750Y that i sold last year due to personal reasons and now fancied something else, but not quite as dear. Will i notice much difference in power , handling etc.

If anyone has an opinion of the RU i'd love to hear them, good or bad.

Many thanks in advance.

CD

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Send a fax to :

YAMAHA MOTOR (UK)LTD

SOPWITH DRIVE

BROOKLANDS

WEYBRIDGE

SURREY

KT13 0UZ FAX: 01932 358024.

I had one of these, and a later fox eye one before being tempted by the dark side, (`93 Fireblade......still got it)

Check the headlamp dip (to the left) and that clocks are MPH if that is all ok, then don`t worry too much.

Check the log book to see Date first registered and date registered in the uk, if different, then it was imported 2nd hand. if the same it is either a gen. uk bike or was imported new.

I believe all europe models have the same chassis number prefixes, it is the model code under the seat on the subframe that designates a uk bike.

Values and issues relating to a bike of this age are not really affected by being an "import" or "genuine" uk bike.

As it is already 16 years old, the most important things are how it runs and how it looks. You are unlikely to get anything like a full story unless you are buying it from the original and only owner. Make sure it has a genuine set of headers and collector, with the Exup valve working. 20 valve motors do not respond well to ham fisted after market tinkering in the exhaust department.

`91 exups are great mile munchers, and were the hot poop of their day, till things like the MkI `blade turned up. This is the bike that evolved into the Thunder Ace which was of course totally eclipsed by the R1 in 1998.

A well serviced and set up RU will still be devistating in a straight line, there is as we all know, no substitute for cubes when it comes to power delivery, but You will find it not as nimble as your old GSXR. the suspension, although good in its day, will undoubtedly be in need of some tlc, and or complete overhaul / replacement depending on how you like your bike to handle.

If it looks tidy, runs smoothly and is rattle free, has decent tyres and chain etc, and passes your own personal quality control checks........buy it, ride it, enjoy it, they are an awfull lot of bike for the money they change hands at these days.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online