1986 V-Max

namyzzo
This post is 5964 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

If your bored - read on...I gotta Ramble some - my head is spinning

I'm thinking - I'm thinking this is a big project.. Just a little leary on making it all happen, right and correctly... My plan was/is to rebuild this motor.. The task at hand seems enormous... I have rebuilt 350chevy and an 81 XJ 650..etc.. good with my hands - but everything seems ALOT more important bc its a V-max!!

Before I jumped into this I checked into a 1500 kit from someone and the thought of dropping 6500. for a motor just seemed outta my budget.. So I started buying parts here and there and now I quickly see the cost rising..

I guess Im commited in my mind to rebuild this baby..Iv'e wanted one since forever and since I already started buying parts I might as well see it through - I hope I can get some positive help from anyone willing... Iv'e read some other really dedicated stories about getting the Max back in action ..

Like I said I already have some goodies - (OEM fifty over Pistons/pins/keepers and Rings,,all the o-rings for oil pump area,thermostat,?Complete Gasket kit with Valve Seals?,Throttle Cables,Nology Wires and Plugs,Throttle Grip assy,new grips,mirrors,alot of nuts/bolts,rear reflector,oil filter,fuel filter,Chrome Carb inserts/Fork Brace/Handlebar clamp,used coils for parts,overflow cap,..etc.. < Just goin Krazy!!!

-Guess I was thinkin ontaking the crank to local shop and get appropriate OEM bearings (hope I dont have the problem that Sean is referring to)..

-Can the Deck be Blocked -does anyone know how much??

-OEM Cranks with Bolts,nuts = $400.00.. Considering Seans?

-Valves were in adjustment/cams looked ok = should I replace the springs while I'm there to be safe?..Clean up/Lap Valves..etc..any ideas?

-I read something in Forums about balancing the internals - so I'm worried about this.?

-This orange O-ring thing..-Hope the new OEM one I got works out..Any Suggestions on Preventing this again?..Did this cause my problem?

-Noting all the Yamabond in the filter pickup - is this wise to use?..etc

-Can you get just a replacement screen assembly for the oil pickup?

-Where can I find a kit with the K&N seperates,Stage 7 Kit combo?

-I work at a Clutch shop and build alot of Diaphragm/Coil spring clutches..Whats seemed to work best for you guys - Stock/D or Barnett Coil conversion?..I can get stiffer springs if needed..

-I powdercoat on the side - any thoughts on Powdercoat keeping the heat from escaping the engine?

*Thanks for letting me Ramble..

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online