Petrol tank repair

Muffeeta
This post is 6049 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

How can i get a dent out of my tank, i would post some pics of the dent which i have but dont know how to. The dent is in the top left side and is 8inches long, 3inches wide and about a 1/4 deep, have thought of a replacing but rather get the dent out as its the only thing wrong with tank and filling is a NO, NO!! :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

How can i get a dent out of my tank, i would post some pics of the dent which i have but dont know how to. The dent is in the top left side and is 8inches long, 3inches wide and about a 1/4 deep, have thought of a replacing but rather get the dent out as its the only thing wrong with tank and filling is a NO, NO!! :)

Hi Muffeeta, your options are 1 draining the tank and pressurizing it with compresed air to try and push the dent out (dangerous and have never seen it work succesfully before) 2 cutting open the tank along the seem knocking the dent out and welding up the tank again and respraying (expensive and time consuming,but works ) 3 just filling the dent and respraying ,works as well)? or 4 trying to get another tank the same colour and just swapping them over? 5 just learning to live with it !!!

hope this helps as these are really the only options

Cheers

Bill

this is the old, ive heard this but never tried it, two methods, cram a bike innertube into tank, arrange so's stem is out filler hole, inflate .

or fill with water close cap and freeze it, results will be youll either pop dent or split seams.

:D Thanks guys all ideas noted, bike is having a respray anyway so just living with it is out, money is tight atm so taking it to any sort of metal works is out unless work comes in, (on my knee's praying), filling (mmmm) still not convinced about yet as it will be a lot of filler, ?tion on this option, if filled will any water get in behind filler and cause rust??, this is what is throwing me off idea, as for pressurizing i think this will split the tank due to the angle of the dent. Have tried looking for a new tank for a YZF 93 Mod but have come up with no results so if anyone has any ideas where to look then Plz let me know.........

Thanks all and safe riding!!

:D Thanks guys all ideas noted, bike is having a respray anyway so just living with it is out, money is tight atm so taking it to any sort of metal works is out unless work comes in, (on my knee's praying), filling (mmmm) still not convinced about yet as it will be a lot of filler, ?tion on this option, if filled will any water get in behind filler and cause rust??, this is what is throwing me off idea, as for pressurizing i think this will split the tank due to the angle of the dent. Have tried looking for a new tank for a YZF 93 Mod but have come up with no results so if anyone has any ideas where to look then Plz let me know.........

Thanks all and safe riding!!

why don't you weld on nails and pull out with a slide hammer?

that's what the body shop boys do, its easy and it may pull the dent completly if the metal ain't stretched.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online