YBR 125 tyre question

ajzammit
This post is 5871 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all. I have a ybr125 of 2007, and have been riding for almost 3 months on a daily basis, commuting to work, etc... I try to avoid riding in rain, but using it daily means you get caught sometimes, and usually the roads are skiddy in the morning because of the dew. I still have the stock tyres on the bike, and was reading on the net that changing to some better brand will make a heck of a difference. So i just have a couple of questions I'de really appreciate if you could pop your suggestions. 1. Any particular brand known to be suitable for this bike. I was thinking Bridgestone. 2. the rear tyre is 90/90 18, while the fron is 2.75-18. Could it be possible to widen the tyres to have a greater contact patcth/grip. If yes, what's a better width... say 100/80 18? thank you all for your help. cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have had my YBR for only two weeks and already i am thinking about selling it (on safety grounds), the paper thin tyres they have on it are a death trap in wet conditions, i have almost come off the bike twice after skidding during emergency stops & unless i can get wider tyres for it i will be selling.

Any advice on this tyre issue would be greatly appreciated.

... had my YBR for only two weeks and ..., i have almost come off the bike twice after skidding during emergency stops...

Mark,

the bike probably won't have wider tyres available.

As for skidding, wider tyres won't make a difference.

This might be a little offensive to you (sorry :blink: ), but 2 emergency stops in 2 weeks would suggest to me that you either need to slow down a little or gain more experience on the bike (perhaps a little extra training?) rather than dump the bike and damage it and yourself.

Paul

I have had my YBR for only two weeks and already i am thinking about selling it (on safety grounds), the paper thin tyres they have on it are a death trap in wet conditions, i have almost come off the bike twice after skidding during emergency stops & unless i can get wider tyres for it i will be selling.

Any advice on this tyre issue would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Mark

I have a YBR too, the tyres are a little thin, but I've never had any problems

Are you sure you want to get rid? you have a nice wee bike maybe you could get a few lessons

Mark,

the bike probably won't have wider tyres available.

As for skidding, wider tyres won't make a difference.

This might be a little offensive to you (sorry :blink: ), but 2 emergency stops in 2 weeks would suggest to me that you either need to slow down a little or gain more experience on the bike (perhaps a little extra training?) rather than dump the bike and damage it and yourself.

Paul

Paul, it's very hard to account for some idiot (who is sitting stationary in a car at traffic lights) pulling out into your lane (while you are overtaking) without indicating, & a cat darting out in front of your front wheel (from underneath a parked car) is also hard to forsee. :huh:

• Like 1

Paul, it's very hard to account for some idiot (who is sitting stationary in a car at traffic lights) pulling out into your lane (while you are overtaking) without indicating, & a cat darting out in front of your front wheel (from underneath a parked car) is also hard to forsee. :huh:

Fair enough Squire. :mellow:

Much as I like ikkle puddy tats, I think I'd end up as roadkill if it ran in front of me (brake by all means, but at the last moment lay off the brakes, get upright and hope it gets the hell out of the way).

Trouble with the wee bikes is a lack of noise and 'presence' on the road - but it is good training for when you get something bigger (and perhaps better at 'non-verbal communication with the idiots who plague the roads).

Hows about easing off the cables - it may be that the brakes are set 'too good' or when you grab a handfull it immediately stops the wheel?

Just a thought.

You've probably been taught to ride defensively, and look for escape routes and expect the idiots to do daft things (you wanna try London, cabbies who don't know what indicators are for and who can 360° on the narrowest of roads).

You'll get more alert as you get more experience (sorry, am assuming that you've only been riding a short while) and things like yer man changing lane will register earlier and be less of a surprise after a while.

By then you'll probably be into Hursts for a bigger bike, or perhaps Ballymena (there's a couple of fair sized bike shops there too now (or there were a couple of years back...))

Paul

i to am the owner of a ybr 125 and have experianced the tyre problems. my biggest problem with them is there not wide enough to safely lean into a dry corner let alone a wet one. i have had SEVERAL close calls when ive been on a a sunny run and have almost come off due to underestimating the tyres widths. i think well all just have to live with it and get a bigger bike with real tyres ASAP

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. I have a ybr125 of 2007, and have been riding for almost 3 months on a daily basis, commuting to work, etc... I try to avoid riding in rain, but using it daily means you get caught sometimes, and usually the roads are skiddy in the morning because of the dew. I still have the stock tyres on the bike, and was reading on the net that changing to some better brand will make a heck of a difference. So i just have a couple of questions I'de really appreciate if you could pop your suggestions. 1. Any particular brand known to be suitable for this bike. I was thinking Bridgestone. 2. the rear tyre is 90/90 18, while the fron is 2.75-18. Could it be possible to widen the tyres to have a greater contact patcth/grip. If yes, what's a better width... say 100/80 18? thank you all for your help. cheers

Increasing the width of the tyre without changing the wheels is apparently a falacy. (so the pro's say) Nevertheless, Michelin make the Pilot Sporty with specific fitment for the YBR125. They are apparently the ones to go for according to many British riders who know wet conditions a lot better than most. However Metzler also do a fitment fot the YBR125 as do also Pirelli.

I'm still on the skiddy stock nylons and will be changing to the Michelin Pilot Sporty's as soon as I can convince the local agent to import a set for me. (Not much demand for this size here in Malta !)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online