Needing Advice

Muffeeta
This post is 6089 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, firstly my name is Mark and this is my first post as i am new on here.... I am in the process of giving my 93 YZF a bit of TLC and i have ripped all the old decals off the fairing as they wer getting shabby, so will be spraying it a diff colour, was wondering if a light sand down would spoil the end results, not doind anything fancy just a str8 spray off (Black), hope you could give me a few tips as well if any members read this in Brighton area as i wish to change the colour of my wheels, wot is the best way to do this when DIYing it or some where to take them????..........Thanks to all that reply

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello, i did a full respray on my old TL1000R and it turned out okay, heres a few pointers that may help:-

PREPERATION

1.Remove all panels from bike, clean down all the panels with an alcohol based liquid such anti freeze or a de-icer fluid (works well) removing dust, road grime etc.

2.Use a very fine graded sandpaper and use a small sander (i used one of those palm hand sanders £10 to buy).

3.Ensure you sand down to a nice smooth finish.

4.Wipe down panels with soft cloth/dry paint brush removing any dust particles etc

5.Apply primer, i used a red car priming spray. applying slowly and evenly from 30 cm from panel to avoid runs/drips.

6.Once the primer has dried it should be as smooth as a babys @rse, no marks etc just smooth red coat.

7.Leave the painting for another day, go and play motogp on the 360 or somthing.

SPRAYING

1.Make sure you have the right spray ie Gloss finish!!

2.Apply spray coat from 30 cm in short bursts, leaving for at least 10 minutes each spray to avoid runs etc.

3.Continue to apply coats evenly dont get over keen to finish it.

4.Once finished leave for next day, store in clean dry area do not cover up panels with sheets, cloths etc, wifes knicks etc.

DECALS (Optional)

1.Apply a little bit of soapy water to the panel (helps to move decal if in wrong position)

2.Place decal onto panel adjusting as required

3.Leave to dry for about 2 hours

4.Apply laquer spray (optional) in short bursts covering whole of panel evenly, about 4 coats will do it

5.Leave for 4 hours.

FINISHING

1.Refit panels to bike

2.Get on bike

3.Go to mates house and show off handy work

4.Take orders for work on mates bikes and make a few quid :D

FROM THIS:- CLICK ON THE MAGNIFY CLASS FOR FULL SIZE

stubike3.jpg

TO THIS:- CLICK ON THE MAGNIFY CLASS FOR FULL SIZE

NewTL1.jpg

Picture017.jpg

I went a bit mad with the decals, but then I only did it to sell the bike anyway :D and ive done quite a few of my mates bikes too since then and all turned out quite good. Total cost for my TL1000R face lift was about 80 quid including decals but took about 3 days work.

Hope this has been of some help, im no pro but it worked for me and my mates.

Hello, i did a full respray on my old TL1000R and it turned out okay, heres a few pointers that may help:-

PREPERATION

1.Remove all panels from bike, clean down all the panels with an alcohol based liquid such anti freeze or a de-icer fluid (works well) removing dust, road grime etc.

2.Use a very fine graded sandpaper and use a small sander (i used one of those palm hand sanders £10 to buy).

3.Ensure you sand down to a nice smooth finish.

4.Wipe down panels with soft cloth/dry paint brush removing any dust particles etc

5.Apply primer, i used a red car priming spray. applying slowly and evenly from 30 cm from panel to avoid runs/drips.

6.Once the primer has dried it should be as smooth as a babys @rse, no marks etc just smooth red coat.

7.Leave the painting for another day, go and play motogp on the 360 or somthing.

SPRAYING

1.Make sure you have the right spray ie Gloss finish!!

2.Apply spray coat from 30 cm in short bursts, leaving for at least 10 minutes each spray to avoid runs etc.

3.Continue to apply coats evenly dont get over keen to finish it.

4.Once finished leave for next day, store in clean dry area do not cover up panels with sheets, cloths etc, wifes knicks etc.

DECALS (Optional)

1.Apply a little bit of soapy water to the panel (helps to move decal if in wrong position)

2.Place decal onto panel adjusting as required

3.Leave to dry for about 2 hours

4.Apply laquer spray (optional) in short bursts covering whole of panel evenly, about 4 coats will do it

5.Leave for 4 hours.

FINISHING

1.Refit panels to bike

2.Get on bike

3.Go to mates house and show off handy work

4.Take orders for work on mates bikes and make a few quid :D

FROM THIS:- CLICK ON THE MAGNIFY CLASS FOR FULL SIZE

stubike3.jpg

NewTL1.jpg

Picture017.jpg

I went a bit mad with the decals, but then I only did it to sell the bike anyway :D and ive done quite a few of my mates bikes too since then and all turned out quite good. Total cost for my TL1000R face lift was about 80 quid including decals but took about 3 days work.

Hope this has been of some help, im no pro but it worked for me and my mates.

Thanks, just wot i needed nice finnish on the bike as well........ :D

If anyone else reads this thread and can help with ideas in reguards to the wheels, (stripping colour off and such) it would be a great help!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online