xj600 diversion HELP

GaryRyal
This post is 6082 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

can anyone help? I have just got an old XJ600 off ebay. Apart from the fact that the battery does not seem to hold a charge I wonder if the gear box is Duff ?? Help.

I learned to ride about 6 years ago and have not ridden since. well not much. On the bikes I learned on the gear change was something like 1 down 3 up. And I could change at any time , ie standing at traffic lights.

However This YAMAHA only seems to want to change gear on the move ... I have to de-clutch between every gear or the LEAVER does nothing. Is this normal for a YAMAHA ?? It seems like double de clutching ... is the BOX duff or is it me.

I'm a professional driver if it has four wheels but am cluesless with two ... HELP ...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like the clutch is sticking or needs to be adjusted, there should be no slack at the clutch lever end. If the bike has been stood a while the clutch plates tend to stick together, and mostly they end up needing stripping and cleaning at best (the solid metal plates corrode if stood to long) at worst new plates will be required. The working tollerance of the plates is not much, the friction plates have a thickness of 3mm and are pretty well worn out at 2.80mm.

I would start with adjustment, wind the screw the cable runs through all the way back into the lever and adjust it where its connects at the engine, then use the screw at the lever to make small adjustments. If there is too much cable to make the adjustment correctly then the cable is probably stretched.

Thanks, You could be right. I adjusted the clutch a bit myself and it does seem to make things a bit better. Have spoken to the guy I got the bike from and he is sure all is fine I just need to get out on the road to get used to the thing :-)

Fingers crossed ...

Hello,

can anyone help? I have just got an old XJ600 off ebay. Apart from the fact that the battery does not seem to hold a charge

i was having the same problem as you but i was told that my cable was past it and had a new one fitted., since then all is good. but on the other hand my battery will not hold a charge either. i never rode the bike yesterday went out today and nothing it will just about turn over.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online