Yamah DT kickstart problem

scramblematic
This post is 6001 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone!

I own a 1982 Yamaha DT 175...since yesterday, the kickstart does not turn the engine and can be moved with a finger. It used to do this during the first 2 kickstarts, but then you could feel the lever turning the engine and everything would be fine.

I noticed that when I tilt the bike, or simply leave the stand down, the kickstart works fine. IT seeme like there is a mechanism that is not in place when the bike is vertical. As you can imagine this really is a pain and I look like an idiot trying to start the bike sideways!!

I also have another question....the light coming out of the front headlamp is very dim, especially when I swicth on the 'bright'.....the light is yellowish and when I switch top bright (full beam), I get a big black cirle in the middle of the light that hits the road, with a very thin outline. When I swicth iot to dim, I get better visibility, but still very poor.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Andre

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the forum Andre

Sounds like your DT's battery might be on it's last leg? :unsure:

Inside the right sidecase of the motor (where the kickstarter is located) there's a mechanism with a catch pawl that might be broken. That sidecase should come off without too much trouble, you then should be able to see what's going on with that kickstarter. ;)

Best of Luck with it

:welcome: to the forum Andre

Sounds like your DT's battery might be on it's last leg? :unsure:

Inside the right sidecase of the motor (where the kickstarter is located) there's a mechanism with a catch pawl that might be broken. That sidecase should come off without too much trouble, you then should be able to see what's going on with that kickstarter. ;)

Best of Luck with it

Thanks a lot for taking your time to help me out with my post!

Battery is new and if I'm not wrong, the headlamp runs directly off the lighting coil in the stator...that's what baffles me most...

I'll dismantle the sidecase as you have suggested....what exactly is a catch pawl ? :) What should I be looking for...maybe a return spring?

Thanks again,

Andre

Hello everyone!

I own a 1982 Yamaha DT 175...since yesterday, the kickstart does not turn the engine and can be moved with a finger. It used to do this during the first 2 kickstarts, but then you could feel the lever turning the engine and everything would be fine.

I noticed that when I tilt the bike, or simply leave the stand down, the kickstart works fine. IT seeme like there is a mechanism that is not in place when the bike is vertical. As you can imagine this really is a pain and I look like an idiot trying to start the bike sideways!!

I also have another question....the light coming out of the front headlamp is very dim, especially when I swicth on the 'bright'.....the light is yellowish and when I switch top bright (full beam), I get a big black cirle in the middle of the light that hits the road, with a very thin outline. When I swicth iot to dim, I get better visibility, but still very poor.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Andre

You need to clean all of the electical connections. You also need to clean the engine grounding cable ends. Most of the electrical problems are caused by bad earths.

When you take the side casing off, you will see what has broken straight away.

You need to clean all of the electical connections. You also need to clean the engine grounding cable ends. Most of the electrical problems are caused by bad earths.

When you take the side casing off, you will see what has broken straight away.

Thanks a lot Yoda!

I will follow your siggestions and will post my findings.

You guys have been very helpful thanks,

A.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online