Bike not starting

mbanham
This post is 6090 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys have been having probs and came across this forum. Thought I would try my luck!!

First off I have a 1998 Thundercat (First bike)

Basically I can't get it to start, it seems to turn over when I press the ignition but nothing is catching. I have checked the battery (fine) and changed the spark plugs (the other ones were filthy). Also put some new petrol in and some cleaner additive. It has been stored for a few months. I have heard about draining the float bowls on the carbs. But to be honest I can't work out where the screw is!!

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks, Mark. :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Could be a whole host of problems but if it was working before being stored it rather narrows it down to fuel. Probably water in the fuel or sticking floats or blocked fuel filter/line.

Clean plugs and charge the battery and drain all of the fuel out. Put in fresh fuel and ensure that its in the carbs, try to start it.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

hi..............and welcome to the forum.

Yoda is right if everything was OK before it is almost certainly fuel. However there are a couple of other things you should check just to confirm.

1. Do you get a spark from the plugs - take the plugs out lay them on the engine and turn it on the starter - you need a good blue spark from each.

2. Is the fuel getting to the plugs - if you turn the bike over a few times with the plugs in and the choke out - then take out the plugs and look to see if they are wet (but not soaked) and smell of petrol.

If you need to drain the float bowls you should find a brass type screw at the lowest part of the bowl - undo it and see if any petrol comes out.

Good luck.

:rolleyes:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online