1986 Radian - Carbs and Weird oil leak

Beaze
This post is 2850 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all,

I'm a new owner of an old Radian and need some advice. The carbs are gummed up kinda bad but the bike will run. I have to keep the choke open (around 1/2 to 3/4 open) for the bike to stay running. I'm guessing this is probably due to some fouled up jets or maybe a stuck float...however the weird problem is that I'll let the bike sit overnight and go to start it to work on it and oil just pours out of the air box. It makes me say "WTF" everytime it happens. I drained the oil and changed the filter and put new oil in...maybe that old 20w50 was stuck in there and I dumped some more on it and now it's all loosened up. Anyhow, has anyone else had this happen? I just find it strange. Also, do any of you guys know the best way to get the dam air box out of the bike so I can remove th carbs? What a p.i.t.a. if ya know what I mean.

Take it any way you can get it,

Beaze

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Fairly common fault on these bike is carbs flood and once it reaches a certain level it only has 2 ways to go.

1 into the engine

2 into the airbox

Sorting this could be a 2 stage affair. The float needle valves should stop the fuel rising past where its meant to be so i would say a carb strip and clean be your priority. Also check the petcock on the fuel tank, fuel should only run free on prime, when on run with the engine stopped fuel should not flow.

check what is coming out of the airbox, does it smell of fuel, i would also check engine oil to see if the level is a bit high, possibly see if that smells of fuel.

Another option but not so easily fixed is worn piston rings allowing blow by and forcing oil up the crankcase ventilation system into the airbox.

Given the symptoms you have explained i would think it is a fuel problem.

As for removing airbox there is only 2 ways and thats engine out or a hacksaw

hope that helps Dave C

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. You're basically spot on what I figured I'd have to do. I'm thinking about putting cone air filters on the backs of the carbs...I'm not sure what the "tech" name is for them but I know it would add some HP. So cutting the airbox out will be a fun demo project. I think that I had some 1 1/2 year old 20w50 gummed up when I drained the oil (I hadn't started the bike at this point) and what oil was gummed up got warm and added to the oil I put in it. I'm going to just run the bike and then drain all of the oil out. I'll keep you guys updated on what happens.

• 10 months later...

Hey all,

I'm a new owner of an old Radian and need some advice. The carbs are gummed up kinda bad but the bike will run. I have to keep the choke open (around 1/2 to 3/4 open) for the bike to stay running. I'm guessing this is probably due to some fouled up jets or maybe a stuck float...however the weird problem is that I'll let the bike sit overnight and go to start it to work on it and oil just pours out of the air box. It makes me say "WTF" everytime it happens. I drained the oil and changed the filter and put new oil in...maybe that old 20w50 was stuck in there and I dumped some more on it and now it's all loosened up. Anyhow, has anyone else had this happen? I just find it strange. Also, do any of you guys know the best way to get the dam air box out of the bike so I can remove th carbs? What a p.i.t.a. if ya know what I mean.

Take it any way you can get it,

Beaze

Hi just had the same problem, it can be done by undoing the clips on the rubber carb connecctors that join carbs to air box,you cna prise them out and thencarbs come off easy then ,just fiddly plenty of wd 40 putting themmback ,worked a treat forme. hope it helps

mike :rolleyes:

• 7 years later...

ok I am having the same issue..... bike runs great but when its warmed up the oil shoots straight up into the air filter box and i cant figure it out!!! its so bad that it'll shut the bike off from all of the oil going into the breather box..... can anyone help me out?

locking this down, posting the same question multiple times does not a happy forum make

• drewpy locked this topic
This post is 2850 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.